5" inside diameter toilet flange - cast iron

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by k.look, Nov 28, 2004.

1. k.look

k.look New Member

I have a 5" inside diameter toilet flange that's 1 1/2" deep that's connected to a 4" inside diameter cast iron waste pipe. The problem is wax rings are made for 3" and 4" openings. Is there a wax ring for a 5" opening or what do you recommend to reduce the opening to 4"?

Ken - Chicago, Il

2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
    Regular Wax

A regular wax should fit. The inside of 4" or 4 x 3 flanges are almost five inches. I have not hear of a 5" toilet flange.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Wax Gasket

Although I never had this problem...
    Instead of reducing the (closet flange) drain opening you would be better off combining a small section of a second wax seal to another one to make the diameter larger if that's what you need to do.

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    flange

Apparently the 4" cast iron pipe is not long enough to reach the surface of the flange, the way it should. A plumber would caulk a section of pipe inside the flange so the new opening would be correct for a wax ring.

6. k.look

k.look New Member

flange

EJ,
    What type of pipe do you recommend caulking in there? What will fit? A piece of iron pipe or PVC? I think if I reduced the opening down to an inside diameter of 4", the wax ring would give me a better seal in the long run so I don't have to repair the floor again. The plumbing guy at local Home Depot said this might be a commercial fitting that was put on my toilet.

I just talked to a commercial plumbing supply house. Apparently my situation is common plumbing technique in the Chicago area. The flange is 5" diameter with a 1 1/2" drop connecting to a 4" waste pipe. A regular wax ring should do the trick. Apparently, the original installation had a plumber's putty like consistency that reduced this 5" opening to about 4" (this material was very stiff and flaking) when I originally removed it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    5"

The "5"" flange is really a 4" one, but the 4" pipe is too short. The best solution would be a 1 1/2" piece of cast iron pipe caulked, (leaded), into the flange to raise the 4" to the finish floor elevation. Failing that a piece of 4" ABS or PVC could be inserted and siliconed in place so it lines up with the existing 4" pipe.

8. DocDee

DocDee New Member

I had exactly the same problem with a cast iron flange with 5" ID (construction around 1970).
    My solution which worked perfectly was a one-piece neoprene seal from http://saniseal.com/
    "The Green Gasket" was purchased from Home Depot for about $11.

9. JMac

JMac Member

Before others start flaming here, I would like to point out the date on the last post before yours : hj, Nov 29, 2004
    That's right... over 10 years ago.
    And responding to just one post (instead of the 3 old posts like you did) would have been enough for anybody new trying to find an answer to this.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Those were 3 identical posts. Think he is a fake getting ready for some spam posts? You don't suppose that SS would be paying an S E O (paid spammer) guy, do you? Those S E O guys don't usually respond. Maybe I am too suspicious. I put the space into the 3-letter acronym because they do search for that term.

11. JMac

JMac Member

I hadn't read all 3 at that point, just saw them on the forum listing. I do agree with you re spam, especially after reading all 3 threads, but I was giving the guy the benefit of the doubt there. This also makes me rethink the SS, if no other reason than because of doing this.