5" ID Closet Flange Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh D

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I have a 1950's home and redoing the upstairs bathroom. Had old pink American Standard toilet that I removed and its now time to install the Kohler Cimarron I bought today.

This is the first toilet I have attempted to set but something with the flange and wax rings doesnt look right to me. The brass flange is 5" ID and I believe is leaded to the 4" cast drain line. When I sit the wax ring on top of the flange it almost is small enough to sit inside the the flange and not at all on top once the toilet is set. Does this seem normal?

I am thinking that if I use this standard ring and another standard size with the horn I may be ok?
Parts I have here at my disposal are the standard wax ring in the picture, a standard size with the horn, an oversized ring with the horn, and a 1/4 PVC flange extender.

The waste line starts about 1" below the top of the flange.

What is the proper plan of action here guys?

Thanks in advance

IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2829.JPGIMG_2830.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may be looking at three wax rings with that. Unless the flange is above the finished floor, I use two rings. Your flange is an inch deep.

toilets-pink.jpg

Last edited:

Josh D

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I ended up grabbing one of these last night. I think if I take the red rubber off, put a standard size wax ring on, put the red rubber back on and then insert it into what I have now, it will work. The wax ring under the ABS flange will seal off that 1" gap and ill use the new ABS flange surface for the closet bolts. That will also raise my flange surface from 3/16-1/4 under floor height to even or just over.

I will of course screw this through the existing brass flange and into the floor as well.

What do you think?

405159.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
It does have some merit in that PVC is being used in compression rather than as the actual hold-down mechanism. The more I think about it the better I like that.

Note that you can form wax like you would modeling clay so that it can fit whatever you want. With wax, you don't want to drop the toilet and then lift it again. So I would test to know what shims will be needed and put yourself into the situation of withdrawing shims rather than inserting them after the wax is smushed.

I would maybe think of taking a couple http://www.korky.com/accessories/wax-free-toilet-seal-kit and cut the ears off of the bottom one, and stack those as your spacer plus seal... Somebody may have an improved suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks