1. pvoight

pvoight New Member

I am in need a fitting to redo my plumbing in my basement. I am look for a 5/8" female threads with a 3/4" solder on the other end. Anyone know where I could get this online. Box stores do not have 5/8 anything.

Like this:

[​IMG]
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

What do you have that has 5/8 thread that connects to plumbing
  3. pvoight

pvoight New Member

Badger water meter
  4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Call your local plumbing supply house or water works supplier...
    It should be available or they can tell you where to get it....
  5. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

I see 5/8" and I think it's 1/2" in HVAC terms, but I looked them up and sure enough...
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

5/8

There are not 5/8" anything other than solder fittings. Your 5/8" meter should have 3/4" pipe threads, but could be 1" pipe threads. However they are "straight" threads and seal with a gasket, so you really need a water meter tailpiece to connect to it. Besides, the utility would be very unhappy if you screwed a fitting onto their meter and they had to unscrew the meter to replace it.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Has anyone here ever seen a meter with 5/8 threads? Or a 5/8 copper supply line?

I've seen 5/8 FPT threads on some old brass sprinkler head bodies, where the sprinkling mechanism was threaded in. Rain Jet was the manufacturer.
  8. not too many years ago a young Master Plumber sent me on a wild goose chase to get a 5/8" (or was it 3/8"?) threaded fitting... just like the one in that picture above. I got one. Hours later I called the manufacturer of the device that the young plumber was going to connect; they told me it was 1/2" NPT. That explained the confusion. Before going out to get the "right" fitting I had asked the plumber to show me why we needed it, and he showed me but I cannot remember how it came to be that he drew that conclusion, but he did show me that one thing or another didn't fit on it... I wish I could remember now, just for my own curiosity.

So maybe you have been through the same process and come to the same conclusion. Have someone else take another look, to see how they would get a more standard size to thread onto it...

david
  9. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

I just did two 3/8" IPSX 3/8" compression angle stop replacements last week...they're somewhat obsolete, used on lavs & closets on older homes (with a factor value of 1 on water lines).
    Most residential gas dryers & cooktops are 3/8" IPS on the inlet...residential dishwashers are 3/8" brass also.

I do have a full stock of 5/8" adaptors, fittings and nipples on my truck as well.
    No, I don't...kidding.
  10. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Most of the meters in the small towns I plumb in have 5/8 embossed on the them. The 5/8 means the opening size. 3/4" meter nipples are included.
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

meter

5/8" is the size of the meter openings, not the connections to it.
  12. I always keep 5/8" meter tabs on the truck...and those specific washers. Very rare to see the larger type meters anymore.