4x3 closet bend vs 3" long sweep?

Users who are viewing this thread

WN1

Reaction score
So the two typical ways to plumb under a toilet to a 3" drain pipe is:

A: 4" vertical pipe to 4x3 closet bend (restriction in theory from 4" to 3", but gives more space in flange opening)
B: 3" vertical pipe to 3" long sweep elbow (less space in flange opening, but no restriction afterwards)

Most toilet traps are less than 2.5" (there's one or two rare ones with 3" traps), so the slightly larger flange opening shouldn't be very important, and we all know restrictions are bad (but allowable for closet bends), so why do most people like option A? The "curving" shape of a long sweep should reduce the possibility of clogs versus the more "square-ish" shape of a closet bend.

Is it only because a 3" long sweep is too high for most spaces and a 4x3 closet bend is a couple of inches shorter? I have a drop ceiling beneath the bathroom, so have plenty of space for option B unless there's a compelling reason for option A (which seems to be the norm).

Thanks for you opinions!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot tell you why anyone would use a 3" elbow, since I have NEVER used one. Always the 3x4 closet bend.
1. you can leave the riser intact above the floor until you have to cut it off even with the flange
2. You can use an external flange that slides down to the floor without cutting the riser off first
3. IF there is ever a problem with the flange, you can just abandon it and use an internal flange.
Just three reasons that come to mind but there could be others.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You don't have a restriction either way. Almost all toilets have a 2" or smaller trapway dropping into a 3" or 4" drain.
I mainly use 3" for my closets, though sometimes I use the 4x3 closet bend. They all work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks