48K 700SXT Fleck programming

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon B

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum. Got question about programming my 700sxt. I have a 48k w/fleck 7000sxt. Raw water/city water coming in at 18 gpg, I can only get the softness down to 3 gpg. I've been using a Hach 5b test kit. I reprogrammed it yesterday to some specs I found on this forum. Am I asking to much to get the softness less then 1?
DF-gal, VT-df2b, CT-Fd, C-36, H-18, RS-SF, SF-15, DO-10, RT-2:00am, B1-5, BD-60, B2-5, RR-10, BF-30. My BLFC is .125. FM-t1.2.
Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
A softener when programmed correctly, will reduce the hardness to less than 1 gpg.

What are the current capacity (C) and brine fill settings? What is the BLFC (brine line flow control) number? (Often printed on a label close to the brine tank connection) How many residents in the home?

Jon B

Reaction score
A softener when programmed correctly, will reduce the hardness to less than 1 gpg.

What are the current capacity and salt settings? What is the BLFC (brine line flow control) number? (Often shown on a label close to the brine tank connection) How many residents in the home?
We have 2 adults a 3 year old and a 8 month old with 2 bathrooms. My BLFC is .125. I regenerated this morning and I'm going to test it again tonight after work. I updated my first post with the settings I used. Thanks

Bannerman

Reaction score
The current 'C' setting of 36,000 grains usable capacity is correct for an 8 lb per cuft salt dose (12 lbs total for your 1.5 cuft system).

The current 30 minute 'BF' setting X 0.125 BLFC = 3.75 gals X 3 lbs/gal = 11.25 lbs of salt. Your BF should be increased to 32 minutes.

I expect your unit had been previously programmed to deliver more capacity than the salt setting was programmed to deliver and therefore, the softener's total capacity (ie: 48k) was likely exhausted and should be restored by using a salt dose of 18 lbs/cuft (27 lbs total).

As your brine tank currently contains 3.75 gals, you could simply add an additional 5.25 gallons to the brine tank. Wait 2.5-3 hours for the additional salt to dissolve before initiating a manual regeneration cycle.

4 people at 60 gals/person/day X 18 gpg = 4320 grains/day
36K usable capacity / 4320 = an 8 day regeneration frequency but since the toddler and baby may each use less than 60 gals/day, you may wish to increase your 'DO' (days override) setting from 10 days to 15 or 20 days.

Last edited:

Jon B

Reaction score
The current 'C' setting of 36,000 grains usable capacity is correct for an 8 lb per cuft salt dose (12 lbs total for your 1.5 cuft system).

The current 30 minute setting X 0.125 BLFC = 3.75 gals X 3 lbs/gal = 11.25 lbs of salt. Your BF should be increased to 32 minutes.

I expect your unit had been previously programmed to deliver more capacity than the salt setting was programmed and therefore, the softener's total capacity (IE 48k) was likely exhausted and should be restored by using a salt dose of 18 lbs/cuft (27 lbs total).

As your brine tank currently contains 3.75 gals, you could simply add an additional 5.25 gallons to the brine tank. Wait 2.5-3 hours for the additional salt to dissolve before initiating a manual regeneration cycle.

4 people at 60 gals/person/day X 18 gpg = 4320 grains/day
36K usable capacity / 4320 = an 8 day regeneration frequency but since the toddler and baby may not each use 60 gals/day, you may wish to increase your 'DO' (days override) setting from 10 days to 15 or 20 days.
Okay. There were only a few settings I changed and the C was at 48k and BF was 20

Jon B

Reaction score
I did notice yesterday that during the brine fill that the tank filled up before the time was up and it stopped adding water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a similar table with CR specified and maybe others:

System info (not programmed)

salt lb/cuft : 8
BLFC : 0.125
cubic ft resin : 1.5
Raw hardness : 18.0
Estimated gal/day : 240.0
Estimated days each regen : 7.6

Fleck 7000SXT Settings:

DF = Gal
VT = dF2b
CT = Fd
C = 36.0
H = 18.0
RS = cr
CR = 0.0
DO = 28
RT = 2:00
B1 = 8.0
Bd = 60.0
B2 = 5.0
RR = 10.0
BF = 32.0
FM = t1.2 (usual)

Bannerman

Reaction score
the tank filled up before the time was up and it stopped adding water.
Did the water in the brine tank raise the safety float, thereby shutting off the safety valve at the bottom of the brine tank? If so, can the float be adjusted higher so that additional water can flow into the brine tank?

C was at 48k and BF was 20
20 minutes X 0.125 gpm = 2.5 gallons X 3 lbs/gal = 7.5 lbs of salt. 48K of capacity in a 1.5 cuft system would require 27 pounds.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did notice yesterday that during the brine fill that the tank filled up before the time was up and it stopped adding water.
That could be because your BLFC is not 0.125, or your brine draw is not sucking out enough brine. Your brine level should be all of the way down about 15 minutes into your BD period.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What size is your brine tank, what is the float height, and does it have a grid plate in the bottom? The float should never shut the refill off on the vast majority of Fleck, Autotrol, or Clack valves. They use a timed refill, the float is only a safety backup in case the primary fails or due to a power failure during the brine fill cycle.

You could also remove the 3/8" tube from the brine tank and measure the flow during refill, it should be .125 GPM. The other common flow control size is .25, it should not have a .5 or larger. It is not uncommon for companies to ship these valves with the wrong flow control. The valve will be printed with the flow control they shipped it with, but it is an easy item to swap.

Jon B

Reaction score
The sticker on the back of the control valve says .125 BLFC. I believe the float did shut it off. I tried pushing down on the float to see if it would start flowing again but it didn't. The place I ordered the system from says it is a 15x17x36 brine tank. The water stopped about 6" below the over flow spout.

Last edited:

Jon B

Reaction score
There is no grid plate. The water stops at about 24". I probably had 80 to 100 lbs of salt in the tank when I last did a regen. I just added some more water to the resin tank and I'll try another regen tomorrow morning. I switched the BF setting to 32.

Jon B

Reaction score
What size is your brine tank, what is the float height, and does it have a grid plate in the bottom? The float should never shut the refill off on the vast majority of Fleck, Autotrol, or Clack valves. They use a timed refill, the float is only a safety backup in case the primary fails or due to a power failure during the brine fill cycle.

You could also remove the 3/8" tube from the brine tank and measure the flow during refill, it should be .125 GPM. The other common flow control size is .25, it should not have a .5 or larger. It is not uncommon for companies to ship these valves with the wrong flow control. The valve will be printed with the flow control they shipped it with, but it is an easy item to swap.
How would I accurately measure the the brine fill if I disconnected the 3/8 tube.

Bannerman

Reaction score
How would I accurately measure the the brine fill if I disconnected the 3/8 tube.

Advance the controller to BF and measure the amount of time to fill a container of known volume, say a juice jug or measuring cup.

ditttohead

Reaction score
It should be .125 gm, or 1 gallon in 8 minutes. These flow restrictors are very accurate. With higher salting you should be getting softer water, sounds like something else is going on apart from the BLFC issue.

Jon B

Reaction score
Would the drain be causing issues. My drain has to run pretty far, plus it runs straight up the wall 4' then over the garage door and across the wall to the back wall where the drain hook up is. There is two copper pipes plus the drain sticking out of the wall. When I originally hook up the softener there both pipes would have flow coming out of them when I would test to see which pipe was incoming and which was outgoing. So I moved the softener back to where the old one was. I'm wondering if I should get a check valve for the drain and put it right close to the softener?

Reach4

Reaction score
My drain has to run pretty far, plus it runs straight up the wall 4' then over the garage door and across the wall to the back wall where the drain hook up is.
This is from the service manual:
The pipe size for residential drain line
should be a minimum of 1/2" (13 mm). Backwash flow rates
in excess of 7 gpm (26.5 Lpm) or length in excess of 20’
(6 m) require 3/4" (19 mm) drain line.​
I expect that is over-cautious for a softener, since they don't give a different number to use with a filter with a 15 GPM backwash vs a softener with a 3.5 GPM backwash. You could measure the flow rate at the output during backwash, and compare that to the DLFC value. If you are getting the full backwash, I figure your drain line is OK.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The drain should not have excess backpressure. This is a calculation that should not have to be considered in your application as your drain line is considered a short run. As long as you have 50 PSI, and you ran the pipe in an adequate size, preferably 3/4", it will be fine. Do the tests we have recommended to confirm the BLFC size.

The 7000 valve gets messed up by a lot of companies, a simple test you could do would be to put the system into the brine draw cycle and taste the water at the drain. It should not be salty for a couple minutes. If it is immediately salty, then someone mixed the wrong riser with the valve configuration. This will usually give you "blended" soft/hard water, but it can also give you salty water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks