45's to trap

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
I'm trying to install a new bathtub.

It looks like the old olumbibing is around 3 inches from the wall stud. The new drain looks to be around 8 inches.

-Should I just remove the old trap and recipe, or can I just add 45's to hit the offset.

-Is there a standard distance that plumbers put the drain, or do they already know which tub is being installed and go by that?

The slab pictures shows how deep it is before it hits the start of the trap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 211

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't mix PVC and ABS
The solvents don't match. I would cut out what you have and start over.
Each drain location is specific to the tub you are installing. A tub will have a waste and overflow. I normally buy one that I glue up.

You can also use 45's up to the drain, but the ABS there needs to be cut out.

Last edited:

NavySuit

Reaction score
You can't mix PVC and ABS
The solvents don't match. I would cut out what you have and start over.
Each drain location is specific to the tub you are installing. A tub will have a waste and overflow. I normally buy one that I glue up.

You can also use 45's up to the drain, but the ABS there needs to be cut out.

Thanks

Should the waste coming off the drain be a straight shot to tye drain pipe under ground. I'm not sure if the trap assembly is normally set at a certain distance.

Also, it looks like the drain pipe is 2in pipe. Should I make the trap out of 2in pipe and then add a reducer bushing to connect the waste and overflow from the tub?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The outlet of the tub shoe should drop straight down into the trap, but using 45's to offset is ok.
It would be normal to have a 2" drain line when they are in or under a slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks