40/60 pump shuts off at 40 then drops dramatically

Users who are viewing this thread

dutchoven

Reaction score
My daughter told me that we had no water. I went into the well room and the psi gauge said 18 psi. I unplugged then plugged back in the well and it fired right up. But once it hit 40 psi (cut in) it shut off immediately and the pressure dropped in seconds. If I unplug it then back in it will usually kick back on but it repeats the same thing. The well pump is brand new as the plumber installed it and the pressure switch last week. The pressure tank is 5 years old and holds air fine. Thoughts on what could cause this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your pump a jet pump in the well room with a single pipe going down the well?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. So symptoms are that the pressure drops to maybe 18 PSI suddenly once the pump shuts off. That is odd.

I was thinking that maybe the check valve built into the pump failed, but why would the pressure not drop to zero? Bad pressure gauge? And why did this work for a week, and then stop.

I was wondering if the pump was a 3-wire pump, and there was a control box problem. Nope. you have a "2 wire" pump, and no control box is used..

I hope somebody can help diagnose your problem.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a call similar to this one not long ago, turned out there was a pressure relief valve at this pitless that was failing so the pump wouldn't build over 50 or so psi and then it would leak right off. When the pump was shut off the PRV would reseat but not hold.

Another possibility is that you have water running someplace and that prevents the system from holding pressure.

Get rid of the plumber and get a real pump tech in there

Reach4

Reaction score
If I unplug it then back in it will usually kick back on but it repeats the same thing. The well pump is brand new as the plumber installed it and the pressure switch last week.
Does your pressure switch look like this?
distributor_sm_1.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'll give you another possibility. It sounds like you have 40 PSI air in the tank, which is good but maybe 2 PSI too much. So when the pump shuts off at 40 the pressure drops immediately. And I am afraid the pump is shutting off because the built in overload in the motor is tripping. It could be a bad pump/motor even though it is new, which wouldn't surprise me these days. Or it is possible that the pressure switch or wiring is not right and only letting it have 115 volts instead of 230, which will also trip the overload.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks