4 port 3 way diverter ROHL

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Pretty much a newbie question. I had our bathroom supply company deliver me a diverter with 4 ports, and 3 way. It has 3 outputs, and 1 input. I only have 2 showers heads for this bathroom. I'm trying to decide if I need to send this back, or use this new configuration. The lady who ordered this, was saying that we could set it up to have our 3 optoins : option 1: regular shower head 1, option 2: rainforest shower head 2, option 3: both shower heads. I'm not sure that I really want that third optoin, but I'm also worried that If I change the diverter now, then I would have to change other supporting pieces to have it all work together. I'm trying to determine how difficult it will be for my plumber to develop this solution? My simple thought is that option 3 can just a "Y" splitter on it ,and then have those 2 segments just "T" into both of the shower heads? Is there something that I"m missing than that? Is there any other reason I wouldn't want to do this? I guess the other optoin is to just cap the 3rd "output", and just have it go nowhere. I know that will drive my wife crazy?

Thoughts?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I have option 3 and I am very happy with it . Run it through the diverter and put a on/off valve on the flexible of the shower head.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
What brand is the divertor? What size are the inlet/outlet ports?

I couldn't cap off an outlet and create a situation where there's a dead spot or 2 on the selector. That would drive us nuts too.

Last edited:

Spfrancis

Reaction score
The diverter is a Rohl R10620BO. I agree that it will drive us crazy to have a setting on the lever that does nothing. The inlet and 3 outlets are all 1/2 inch.
Here is a picture. 41FraO3xdYL.jpg

So to me at this point my 2 choices are to either push for the company to get the right diverter designed for only 2 shower heads. Or my second choise would be to make setting 3 on the diverter send water to both shower heads in parrallel. I was trying to see if there is a right way to configure this. If you experts think that I'm wasting time to do that, for a fix, and it is better to get a 2 setting diverter, then I will give up on this thought.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What a perfect system.

Option A

Option B

or

Option A&B

This is what you want. Don't mess with it or over think it. Done and done.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
So my only question regarding doing the 2 shower heads in parrallel. I have drawn a rough picture of how I would envision that. Is that as simple as it would need to be to have this setup?
Mycrudedocument.jpg

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I would swap it out with the correct diverter. What you show will not work (unless check valves are added). That setup that you drew will use both showerheads no matter which position you put it in (so the diverter would be useless).

Here what one of the places that sells this diverter says (see bold):

Rough valve only, no finish Solid brass construction Ceramic disc cartridge Must use with volume control trim ½”M NPT inlet 3 x ½”M NPT outlets Flow is dedicated. May not be split into two outlets at once. CALGreen compliant 10 GPM Outlets may be capped if not used Min. depth is 2 3/16” from the center of the outlet Max. depth is 4 11/16” from the center of the outlet Extension solution included in the rough package Rough can be used with multiple product lines: - Perrin & Rowe® - Italian Country Bath - Palladian - Vincent - Michael Berman - Modern Lombardia

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Using that drawing EVERY outlet would function using ANY option. Connect the "unneeded" outlet to one of the others. DO NOT cap it off to make a dead position.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Yeah, okay that makes sense that this would not work. I'm going to push to have the correct one ordered and delivered. Thanks for all the help on this forum in working through this issue.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
Yeah, okay that makes sense that this would not work. I'm going to push to have the correct one ordered and delivered. Thanks for all the help on this forum in working through this issue.

So after a discussion with the plumbing store...they are telling me that I have to use a 3 way diverter, and that there are no 2 way diverters(aside from some special ones for some California application) This sounds highl suspect to me. I think the problem I'm ginog to face is that we have the trim kit for the diverter show above, so now if I look at some other diverter, this will impact the trimkit for the control. So my 2 optoins if I didn't want to go through that ordeal is to cap the 3 option, or plumb it for option 3 to be having both on. Can someone explain in words, or a drawing what it would take to support option 3(both heads going at the same time?) The drawing the ROHL document doesn't really show the 3 ports being used.

Any help would be appreciated.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Using that drawing EVERY outlet would function using ANY option. Connect the "unneeded" outlet to one of the others. DO NOT cap it off to make a dead position.

HJ could he install two check valves or back flow valves between the T's and the Divertor Valve? Would that let him pull off the look and not have to change out fixtures?

Maybe he should just buy another fixture.

Hand Held Option A
Rain Head Option B
Shower Head (wall mount) Option C.

That would be easy and cheap I think.....

Spfrancis

Reaction score
HJ could he install two check valves or back flow valves between the T's and the Divertor Valve? Would that let him pull off the look and not have to change out fixtures?

Maybe he should just buy another fixture.

Hand Held Option A
Rain Head Option B
Shower Head (wall mount) Option C.

That would be easy and cheap I think.....

Yeah, orginally I kind of wanted a 3rd device, but my wife wasn't that big on having the hand held. Maybe we should rethink that.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Yeah, orginally I kind of wanted a 3rd device, but my wife wasn't that big on having the hand held. Maybe we should rethink that.

She does not want a handheld? I'm confused. These handhelds have massage settings. I think they are the number one reason why most women want a new shower renovation to start with. So unfair..... LOL

This guy like it too!

0041202_carex-ultimate-handheld-shower-massager.jpeg

But I think she likes it more!!!

woman-w-head-wrapped-in-towel-appears-to-be-standing-under-shower-smoothing-water-over-skin-with-hands-1946-gjon-mili.jpeg

Last edited:

Spfrancis

Reaction score
A body spray jet or two would work too.

You know, I think 2 body sprays would be much better. So we just need to match the finish of the existing stuff, and we would be good to go. I just hope that we have enough pressure to push water with any reasonable force to the body...

Spfrancis

Reaction score
The guy does seem pretty happy. Not as happy as the lady. She may be operating a motor vehicle in VA, where you have to be hands free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks