4" no-hub CI vent connection to old Bell & Spigot - special adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
Tying in new no-hub to an old 4" pipe, is there an adapter made that addresses the reduced diameter of the old iron pipe? I've got a 4-band no-hub adapter making the connection, and it's tight, but it's visibly deformed due to the slightly smaller diameter.

I'm not overly concerned since it's vent only / no waste, and vertical, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can or should do, like maybe a couple wraps of PVC tape on the pipe to increase the diameter at the point of connection?

Speede541

Reaction score
Still fishing for an answer on this on. Pic attached for clarification, if it helps: notice the top two bands are pinching the old iron pipe due to its smaller diameter.

Would you just leave it? Or is there a proper method to address this? As I asked in my original post, would a couple of wraps of PVC tape around the old pipe to increase its diameter be an acceptable solution?

vent-adapter.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It's an oddity, because No-Hub pipe is usually the same size as SV cast iron pipe. You would need MANY wraps of tape to equalize the size, and then the tape would have to do the sealing, rather than the No-Hub coupling.

Speede541

Reaction score
Thanks, gents, for your replies. I visited my suppliers today. Neither had the expansion ring Jerome referred to. After showing the picture from my original post, the first referred me to a CP44 but had none on the shelf. The second suggested instead a TWC44, which is what I took home. A fine fit it is.

twc44-adapter.jpg

I'm glad I took the time to correct this -- the first adapter was a lot more mangled than it appeared in the photo. With the waves and wrinkles I observed in the rubber, it wouldn't have been a great seal. This is how the plumber before me coupled the old to new BELOW the toilet -- carrying solids. This one is above -- vent only -- and I'm happy to have that misfit eliminated from the system.

mauled-adapter.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks