4 month old water heater

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by arnowell, Nov 20, 2011.

1. arnowell

arnowell New Member

I have a state 30 gallon low boy, I just replaced it around 4 months ago. It is set at 120F. It seems that after I take a shower usually around 5-8 minutes, it takes a long time for the water to get hot again coming out the faucet or tub. I don't think I am using that many gallons of water in my shower as the hot water usually runs about have strength. Does anyone have a clue to what could be causing this. Some other info I have a well, my tank is in the attic, I have a 1 1/2 story home about 1288 tsqf. Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some of those WH's use 120vac, which is limited in how fast it can reheat the water. Is yours wired with 120 or 240vac.

A typical showerhead uses a bit over 2gpm and not more than 2.5 (by federal regulation). If yours is really old, it could use quite a bit more (or if you took the restrictor out).

Ensure it is plumbed properly - that the hot is going in the hot side. If they're swapped, you'd be drawing water out of the bottom of the tank which is where the coldest water is.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A 30 gallon tank yields about 21 gallons of shower-temp water. So that 8 minute shower is about it. For a 1200 sq.ft. house, presumably 2 baths? 30 gallons is woefully undersized, especially electric. Do you have only that one water heater??
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Be sure you have a dual element unit with 4500 watt WORKING elements. Set the temp higher also. You could go to 5500 watts if the wire will allow it. I have a 30 gallon unit that I rigged both 5500w elements to run concurrently, and I set the lower element temp higher, and insulated it greatly.

Works like a tankless flow thru unit now.

Some low boys have only one element. And be sure you have 240 volts to the heater. They work fine but slow on 120v. A very little known fact.
  5. arnowell

arnowell New Member

thanks, I will check each out when I get some time off, never thought about the volts pretty sure I have 110 going there