4" inside offset toilet flange that fits completely inside closet bend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spider

Reaction score
I'm finishing my basement, passed my rough plumbing inspection, and have redone the concrete and built the wet wall. I have a 4X3 Closet Bend with a spigot x hub sticking up out of the concrete and I've realized that it's centered 12" away from the unfinished stud wall.

I've been looking for a gasket flange that will fit straight into the closet bend that just has the hole offset to give me an extra half inch or so. I basically just want to push the 3 inch adapter as far forward in the 4 inch pipe as possible. All the ones I can find have a 45 degree bend, which I don't think I could use without busting out the floor again. So does such a thing exist or am I stuck getting a 10" toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
Some 12-inch offset toilets will give you 3/4 inch of clearance for your wall.

Spider

Reaction score
Some 12-inch offset toilets will give you 3/4 inch of clearance for your wall.
I'm guessing that would be 3/4 off the stud, giving me, maybe 1/4 inch off drywall, right? I thought minimum clearance of the finished wall was 1/2 inch. Is that code or a preference I read somewhere? I'm basically looking at a 11 & 1/2 inch rough in without an offset.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have 4" coming up, you can install a 4" closet flange. Even at 11.5" from finished wall, you will fit most 12" rough toilets.
If you want to shift the bowl over the 4" opening, you can pick up even more room. Most bowl horns are 2-5/8" OD, which gives you quite a bit of room over the 4" pipe.

Spider

Reaction score
If you have 4" coming up, you can install a 4" closet flange. Even at 11.5" from finished wall, you will fit most 12" rough toilets.
If you want to shift the bowl over the 4" opening, you can pick up even more room. Most bowl horns are 2-5/8" OD, which gives you quite a bit of room over the 4" pipe.
Thanks for the replies. I'm really new to plumbing so I thought that you would center the bowl over the flange. Are you saying I should have enough play to shift 1/4 to 1/2 inch? I'm guessing I need to install a 4 inch flange to get that play, right?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You normally do center the bowl over the flange.

Assuming that you do so, there are some toilets (a very few) that require the full 12" from finished wall to centerline of flange. But most leave at least 1/2". It isn't code. It isn't anything.

Most Toto toilets can be installed on between 11.25 and 11.5" from finished wall to centerline. The Toto Original Drake, CST744E or CST744EN (with a different-look tank), can be installed on 11.0". And it's a great toilet.

And this is without even trying to "cheat" the toilet forward over the flange. That, as Terry points out, gives you even more play. But you want the 4" flange to do that.

Those offset flanges are a can of worms. Just put in the 4" closet flange and you will be fine.

Really, seriously, take a look at the Toto line of toilets. You really can't go wrong with them, and you will be able to just drop most of them on your flange without even thinking about it.

Spider

Reaction score
I have one more question on this. Will I need a 4 inch outside connecting flange, or would I be alright with the inside connection to give me a little play? If I need to use the outside connecting type I'll have to chip away at the concrete around the pipe. I'd prefer to avoid that, but I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickle as it is. Thanks again for all the help. You guys are lifesavers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks