4 Inch PVC Sewer Line Through Cinder Block Foundation Wall In Crawl Space

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by DanMcD, Oct 8, 2012.

1. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

Do you need a protective sleeve to bring a 4 Inch PVC sewer line through the hole in my Cinder Block Foundation Wall?

My plumber says no. Also, they seal the hole so water does not enter my crawl space.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Your plumber has it right.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF you put a sleeve around the pipe, then you have to seal the sleeve AND the pipe. THe only time I use a sleeve is when I give it to the block layers and they put it into the wall and I run the pipe through it later.
  4. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

Thanks Terry and HJ. Nice to know my plumber knows his stuff.
  5. JoshRountree

JoshRountree New Member

Depends on the code, in NC any time pipe is run through a foundation wall it must be sleeved.
  6. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

So what is the reason/rationale behind the code in NC to require using a sleeve any time time a pipe is run through a foundation wall?
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A sleeve might allow you to replace the pipe at some later time without having to break the wall. Depending on the temperature extremes, a sleeve might allow the pipe to expand and contract without rubbing on the concrete. Some soils swell and shrink depending on their moisture content and a sleeve might allow a little flexibility so the pipe isn't rubbing or flexing directly in the concrete wall.