4 inch inside 5 inch sewer pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

jmm1628

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my basement bathroom and I have a question about the best way to handle installing a new toilet flange. I've attached a picture of the situation. At first I thought the external pipe was some sort of toilet flange that was installed around the 4 inch internal pipe. After breaking it up though I realized that wasn't true and that the 5 inch pipe goes down under the concrete. It looks like a 4 inch sewer pipe was inserted inside of the original 5 inch sewer pipe, but it isn't flush with the concrete. Should I try and remove the 4 inch pipe and install a new insert that's flush with the concrete so I can install a new toilet flange? The outer pipe (that measures at 5 inch inner diameter) goes down at least 12 inches.

Thanks for the help.

IMG_2561.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The 5" "pipe" IS a broken flange and it does not go down 12". IF you break the 4" pipe, you will screw yourself up and create a HUGE problem for yourself. You also probably need a plumber who knows what he is doing.

Asktom

Reaction score
I'm with HJ. A plumber who knows what she is doing should be able to break out the old closet ring and caulk in a new one without any problem. If a person who doesn't know the ropes busts the pipe below the slab, then it becomes a much bigger project.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe is in the center and there is a cast iron toilet flange leaded onto the pipe. You might be able to drill out the lead and remove the old flange.
http://www.phwarehouse.com/products/4%22-x-6%22-%252d-Cast-Iron-Closet-Flange-XH.html
Here is a link showing a similar flange but it in a wood floor. After doing most of the work this guy decides to take the easy way out as standard-air suggest:
http://www.1925craftsman.com/2015/06/bathroom-coming-along.html
If you get the old flange off here are some types that compress onto the outside of the pipe etc.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toilet flanges.html
Be careful not to bust the pipe as mentioned above or you will need to cut a big hole in the concrete so you can get in there to cut off and replace the pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Being a 4 inch pipe gives you the option of using an internal connection flange since the outlet of nearly all toilets is barely over 2 inches.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Any qualified plumber could remove that flange in about 3 minutes WITHOUT having to drill the lead out. And, put the new one on in about 10 minutes, (it takes a while to melt the lead).

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If he was a qualified plumber I don't think he would have asked the question. I think drilling it out is a good way to go about removing the lead for a do-it-yourself. He says he is doing the work, I just gave him some suggestions on how he could do it. If he thinks this is too difficult he can decide to call a plumber. Depending on his skills this is a fairly easy do it your self job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks