4 in. Submersable Water Pump Question!

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by BlakeJ, Oct 29, 2009.

1. BlakeJ

BlakeJ New Member

I am looking at buying a house. I have chosen a forclosure and it is a buy as is. I spoke with a neighbor and he said that before the family moved out that lightning had struck the Water Pump and burned it up. My question is that is this possible???? Also, what kind of price am i looking at to replace it? What kind of damage can it do to anything in the house? What other signs of damage do i need to look for as far as the pump and lightning go. I appreciate all of everyones help and suggestions. :)
  2. Waterwelldude

Waterwelldude Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer

Yes, it is possible that lighting did hit the pump. If it did its a goner.
    But, there may be some hope. If it is a 2 wire pump,(no control box) forget it.
    If it does have a control box, there is a chance, that the capacitor stopped the lighting before it got to the pump.

It is a slim chance, but a chance none the less.

Depending on the size and depth of the pump, it could be anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollers to replace it.
    That is hard to answer without more details about the pump and well itself.

Travis
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Up here, lightning strikes fry pumps all the time. Very common. WWD is correct, cost could be anything from less than a grand to a couple depending......... always depending.
  4. Allen Meyers

Allen Meyers Previous member

With a 4" well there is always a chance the pump will not come out. That is why they are not drilled in my area any longer. Just be prepared to drill a new well. Then if it comes out, it will be a bonus.;);)
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

I am so glad that nobody drill anything smaller than 8" around here.
  6. Allen Meyers

This that code for your area? Do they air drill or mud rotary? I drill 5" PVC.
  7. Allen Meyers

We did drill some 10" public water wells. Steel. Four for one city. That was a lot of work. They all produced over 600 gallons a minute. It took us three weeks! Just to drill, no hook ups.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It's all rotary with a few pounders still around but dying out fast. 8" is code, Steel case set and grouted to bedrock. My dad was a driller in florida for many years. All 2" Pvc set in whatever the hell that crap is in southern florida. Marl I believe they call it.
  9. Allen Meyers

Interesting. I did not know there was 2" PVC wells! I would like to learn to air drill. Oh yes, we have to grout too!
  10. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Sprinkler systems.
  11. Allen Meyers

Oh da....LOL
    Been a long wet week.:cool::cool::cool: