4 Gang Boxes - Ontario

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Footman_75, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Footman_75

Footman_75 Renovating

Hi all,

Question about wire/cap limits on a 4-Gang box in Ontario.

Looking through my copy of the Electrical Code Simplified, can't seem to find any specs on 4-Gang boxes. Lots of info on wire / cap limits for up to 3-Gang though.

Does this mean that 4-Gangs are not code anymore, or does it mean that there are no limits on wires & caps? Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's not so much the # of gangs, but the cubic inches in the box. The number of cables and the size of the item to be mounted each has a value when added up, it can't be bigger than the volume of the box.
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

If it is a non-metallic box it will have the cubit inches stamped in the back of the box. Do the calculation of the conductors and devices going into the box to see if it is overfilled.
    See Table 310.16(B) and Section 310.16 for more information. If you don’t have access to a code book let me know and I will copy and paste them here.
  4. Footman_75

Footman_75 Renovating

Thanks. Going with 3-gang and then single box in other location. And, my simplified codebook has 3-gang in its table. Appreciate the help though.
  5. Homeownerinburb

Homeownerinburb New Member

You would not have gone far wrong by multiplying the number you have for a similar 3 gang by 1.33.