4-Band No-Hub Coupling on Shower Drain - See Pic

Users who are viewing this thread

DPaulD

Reaction score
I had to move a shower drain and used a 2", 4-Band No-Hub Coupling to tie the P-Trap assembly onto the old drain line. Is this acceptable and, if so, should I tighten the 3/8" clamp screws to a certain torque or is hand-tight adequate? I plan to cover everything visible in the pic with sand to about two inches over the coupling, fill the hole with concrete to floor level (formerly a sunken shower pan) and have a new tile shower installed with traditional mortar bed.

Attachments

• Hub.jpg
    Hub.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 654
  • Hub2.jpg
    Hub2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 390

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I use a torque wrench. Hand tight can mean many things since we all have different strength levels.

Less torque than you use to remove a stuck pickle jar and more than a twist off beer cap. That is the perfect level.

Or you can buy one of these...

no-hub-torque-wrench-60inlbs.jpg

Craps out at roughly 60 lbs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I played a double header Monday night, drinking an energy drink before the game. I'm still wound up.
I went 3 for 4, but got out on the last at bat of the second game to end the night with men on.
Lot's of things going on though. Lot's.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I played a double header Monday night, drinking an energy drink before the game. I'm still wound up.
I went 3 for 4, but got out on the last at bat of the second game to end the night with men on.
Lot's of things going on though. Lot's.

You have not gone to bed yet? LOL

Reminds me of the first time I had a double expresso after dinner!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I use a torque wrench. Hand tight can mean many things since we all have different strength levels.

Less torque than you use to remove a stuck pickle jar and more than a twist off beer cap. That is the perfect level.

Or you can buy one of these...

no-hub-torque-wrench-60inlbs.jpg

Craps out at roughly 60 lbs.
That's 60-INCH pounds, so, yes, 5-Ftpd is the spec for fittings 1.5-10" in diameter (80-in/pd for larger pipe).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks