36x48 shower base for barrier free, back linear drain (48" side)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam Indiana

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm out of my league here, I would be very grateful for some help. I have a 36x48" shower space in my master bath addition. I wanted to do curbless with a tiled linear drain (Cohen from Signature Hardware) along the back 48" wall; same tile as the rest of the bathroom (Merola Twenties Classic, mfg says it's ok for shower floors). Ceiling mounted curtain rod, no enclosure.

It looks like there aren't any bases/pans with this configuration - and maybe I've figured out why. Looks like standard code is max 4% pitch or 1/2"per 1ft, and required 2" drop from edge to drain. So the 36" would only meet 1.5" drop from edge to drain. But then why does Redi sell the 36x60 with a drain along the 60" stretch? (Link) Wouldn't this also have the same problem meeting the 2" drop code? Any advice? Thank you!

Layout:

Photo of the shower area:

Tile to be used (7.75"):

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A glazed tile that size could be quite slippery and not a great choice for a shower floor. You'd have to know the west coefficient of friction.

What are you planning for the shower base? The easiest way to do a barrier free entry is with a membrane, but none of those can go directly on the plywood, and all of the manufactured ones are designed to go on a flat/level floor, not one already pitched. If you go with a mudbed, it must be in the order of 1.5" thick at the thinnest point when installed over a wooden subfloor per industry standards, which makes your entry to the room a bit high.

Suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com where they specialize only on tiling things.

Sam Indiana

Reaction score
Suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com where they specialize only on tiling things.

Thanks, Jim,

I came here first because my first concern was the plumbing code, regardless of tile selection. I popped over to johnbridge as well, thank you.

I'll reconsider the tile, I knew it was iffy. It's >0.50 WCOF, but I think >0.60 is recommended for large format tile.

I don't have a shower base or pan picked. My builder said they use a prefab base to tile over. He is reluctant to do anything but a center drain, so I'm trying to find a product to use in its place. I am wondering if this solution below would satisfy plumbing code, if it's a 1" recessed shower area with proper pitch.
attachment.php

I really do appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. I'm sure you get a lot of drive bys.

Sam

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks