36" x 48" shower base

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by FlynHokie, Feb 7, 2009.

1. FlynHokie

FlynHokie New Member

I'm having a hard time finding a 36" by 48" shower base. Is that an abnormal size? Our old fiberglass one piece shower stall measured that. I want to replace it with a solid surface shower base and tile the walls, but I can't find any solid surface ones that measure that.

Any recommendations?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are places that will make a custom one, but it isn't really all that bad to make your own and tile it. Check out www.johnbridge.com for some ideas and help with tiling, whether you decide to make it or not. I'd also visit www.schluter.com and review Kerdi...neat stuff. While harder to find, Wedi has a tileable system that might work for you as well.
  3. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson I teach guitar:You call that a job?

What color?

http://americh.com/single_product.php?item=showerbases&id=26

They make a great base, but on second thought, this one is 'barrier free', for a wheel chair..........I'll check elsewhere.

Found it: http://americh.com/single_product.php?item=showerbases&id=11 Ignore the picture they show, which is obviously square, but it is available in single threshold, solid acrylic, in the size you're wanting.

Go to Americh.com and then find a local dealer.

HE
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. FlynHokie

FlynHokie New Member

Thanks much!!!

Don't want to tile the floor - I'd rather have a solid surface (mainly for cleaning purposes - don't want to mess with cleaning grout floor down the road...
    Thanks for the advice though!!! and the find!!!
  5. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson I teach guitar:You call that a job?

Hi Flyn,
    Where'd we be without Google?

By the way, I am assuming that you meant to write '48 x 36' when you wrote the measurements.

'36 x 48', on the other hand, is not something that is made, and it's entirely different. The first measurement is always the length unless specified differently.

Best of luck with the renovation!

HE
  6. turkeyvulture

turkeyvulture New Member

Kohler makes a couple of cast iron ones. Also check with your local cultured marble/cultured onyx manufacturer. Here is Sacramento, the make either one to that size and other sizes also.
  7. FlynHokie

FlynHokie New Member

Thanks Howard

That's probably why I wasn't getting any results!
  8. FlynHokie

FlynHokie New Member

Transolid Shower Base

Does anyone have any experience with Transolid Solid Surface shower bases?