30" electric freestanding range wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ballvalve, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Must all range outlets be 50 amp plugs with 6 gauge or larger wire, or may I use 8 gauge wire if I have a range that has a maximum draw of 38 AMPS? Using thhn copper in conduit for the run, about 30 feet.

I would guess the answer is what will the next guy plug into it, or is there a dedicated 40 amp plug-cord set?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Can't help on the gauge, but keep in mind any new wiring should be for a four-wire plug: two hots, neutral, and ground. Only when you are reusing an existing 3-wire circuit can you keep it, not on a new one. this may affect the size of the conduit you use.
  3. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Using #8 THHN copper you could use a 50 amp breaker and receptacle but if you wanted to you could use a 40 amp breaker and receptacle.

I doesn’t matter what “might” happen with someone else all that matters is what you are connecting at the time.

The one thing I always teach to the inspectors that take my class is that they are inspectors not expect-ors so what might happen does not matter.
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

5. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

#8 wire is marginal for your range, but if you use it, then connect it to a 40 amp breaker, regardless of the amp rating of the receptacle.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That is true. Standard NEMA receptacles for 120/240 appliances are 30 amp and 50 amp. Of course, you can use a 20 amp, or 40 amp, breaker as the appliance dictates. Wiring must be sufficient for the receptacle used, not just for the breaker.
  8. jwelectric

Gentlemen

The breaker is installed to protect the conductors not the receptacle. It would be perfectly legal to install a 40 amp breaker and a 50 amp receptacle for a range Table 210.21(B)(3).

What would not be legal would be to install a 50 amp breaker and a 40 amp receptacle.

Many AC units throughout this nation are wired with less than a 60 amp conductor and overcurrent device that land in a 60 amp no-fuse disconnect legally.
  9. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

Absolutely correct. I have never wired up a 40A recpt for a range. Never. Not once.

That's different, they don't plug in. ;-)
  10. jwelectric

A receptacle and a cord cap is nothing more than a means of disconnect. Other than the physical shape of the two there is no difference between a receptacle and a no-fuse disconnect