3 ways shower diverter- Latoscana by Paini?

Users who are viewing this thread

ramblinon747

Reaction score
Picture on Home Depot Website:
http://www.*********.com/webapp/wcs...Id=10053&productId=100435894&N=10000003+90401

I am having issues trying to install this divertor in my new shower. It has four openings (Top, Bottom, Left, and Right).
I only need water to go to my shower head (I don't have a bath tub or any other accessories). My friend installed it by bringing in the hot water in the left side, the cold in the other side, and the top going to the shower head, and we capped off the bottom outlet (my buddy said I didn't need it since I don't have a bathtub).
The issue I had was the water was somehow mixing and I was not getting hot water in the rest of the house. Once I cut the CPVC pipes going to divertor, and capped them off, the issue went away, and now I have hot water in the rest of the house.
In the Directions they only have directions for two and three way applications. Under the 2-way applications it states: Do not plug any outlets on this divertor. the divertor is not intended to be used as a shut-off valve. if less than three accessories are installed, connect the unused divertor port to on of the accessories. all outlet ports must be connected to an accessory, even if one accessory is connected to 2 transfer valve outlet ports. install 1/2" pipe to for both accessories. use a tee to connect two of the outlet ports.
I don't under stand where the hot and cold come in because in the diagram for two way applications it just shows: "mixed water supply (1/2" NPT piping)" coming in the bottom outlet, and then the left outlet comes straight out and t's into the top outlet going to the shower head, and the right outlet is just labeled as an accessory line and is by itself, the top pipe is labeled as an accessory line, but like i said the left one connect to the top.
Where do my hot and cold come into this thing...i am assuming i will take whatever remaining ports I don't need and connect them into the same pipe going to the shower head?

Attachments

• 3 diagrams.jpg
    3 diagrams.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 24,102
  • more pics.jpg
    more pics.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 5,194
  • first column.jpg
    first column.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,085
  • second column.jpg
    second column.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 5,080

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

That is a DIVERTER valve, not a shower control. It is intended to send water to one of several devices, i.e., hand held, tub spout, and/or hand held shower. It CANNOT be used to control the water temperature. You need a shower control valve, and then the diverter is connected TO IT if you have more than one shower head. The tempered water INLET is where the flow from the shower control is connected. Obviously, your "plumber" is not a "PLUMBER" or he would have known this.

ramblinon747

Reaction score
Thanks HJ! Good to know. Well, I don't have more than one shower head so I guess I don't need that divertor at all. You said I need a "shower control valve" I searched that on home depot and found this made by the same company:
LaToscana
Volume Control With Ceramic Disc Cartridge
Model USCR400TC000EX
$80.80 Price includes shipping

Will this work?

Thanks so much again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toscana

It will, at least until you need repair parts, and then it may be hard to fix. I ONLY use the Delta universal body with the model 1700 trim, but that is just a personal preference developed by several years of experience.

ramblinon747

Reaction score
Good to know. So I basically plumb the hot and cold into the shower control valve and then the mixed water supply out of the shower control valve into the mixed water supply inlet in the bottom of the 3 way divertor and then plumb each of the 3 to a separate device?
thanks again for your help!

LHallFLA

CT Tech
Reaction score
My experience with Paini shows they are good at customer service. I bought the thermostatic valve and the diverter and the tub spout and the hand-sprayer, Latoscana label and was missing a knob ring and a cover face plate was bent. I dialed the number on their website , gave them the part I needed and they sent it out FedEx for free. No questions asked. This was after I bought the parts at a EXPO/Home Depot that went out of business over a year ago. It took me a while to finally get to the bathroom remodel to use the parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you decided to go with more than a single shower head, then yes. But as stated in the brochure DO NOT plug any opening. If you do not use one for an appliance, then connect it back to either of other lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note, a simple volume control is NOT a shower control, either! It is like a single handled faucet - one input, one output. You'd need two, one for each the hot and cold, then mix the outputs. This would not meet code unless you preceded it with a thermostatic shower valve; then, you could mix the hot and cold, then turn it on and off with a single volume control. Some thermostatic valves don't want pressure applied all of the time...the thermostatic control would be trying to produce the set temperature when there is no flow - it would often be at the max swing. The thermostatic control would need it's own knob or lever to adjust the temperature setting. To meet code, you need an shower control valve - one that has anti-scald technology built in.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks