3 way switch outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Blk90s13

Reaction score
I have an outlet that is controlled by two switches in the living room, we have a floor lamp plugged into one terminal on the outlet and the other side we wanted to use for the TV dvd etc etc but dont want it to be turned on and off with the light

is there a way to isolate one terminal on the outlet to stay on on its on with out the light switch ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes, the side of the outlet has tabs that can be broken out to "split" the receptacle. Several of my rooms are wired so that the top outlet is switched and the bottom not.
split_plug_remove_tab.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Oh, I should mention that the box needs to have the necessary conductors to provide continuous power to the other side of the receptacle and if it has not been so provisioned, splitting the receptacle would not work. There are code issues with regard to this as well so it is best to consult a licensed electrician, which I am not.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The assumption is that you can not do as you want.
You will need to count the conductors coming into the box, and trace out the wires,
There are several ways of running the wires and without tracing them and counting conductors cannot give a hard answer to this query

Michael

Blk90s13

Reaction score
I remember when I wired a 3 way switch in the basement it had an always hot ( red ) can I just tap off there to wire the bottom on the outlet after breaking off the tabs

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
No, a properly wired 3-way will carry the neutral through and toggle the hot on one or the other carrier. If the neutral is being switched, it is wired wrong.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If it was wired to the switches originally, I supsect there is a good chance that it IS wired for half the outlet to be live all the time. Then someone came along and replaced the receptacle, but forgot to break off the tab. Look at the receptacle....see if there are perhaps both a red and a black wire connected to the side with the brass screws.

Last edited:

Blk90s13

Reaction score
I opened up the outlet today found two wires one on each side a white and a blk so I need to snake in a new feed to run my tv off of

I was hoping life will be easier but what was I thinking lool

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks