3 valve tub valve distance from C/L to front of tiles, need 2 5/8"

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Replace it with a Delta scald guard with integral stops

So far this year I am working on 9 scalding cases. All of them were preventable if the shower body had either pressure balance or temperature balance shower valves..

Everything thinks it can't happen to them

Todd Jack

Reaction score
Replace it with a Delta scald guard with integral stops

So far this year I am working on 9 scalding cases. All of them were preventable if the shower body had either pressure balance or temperature balance shower valves..

Everything thinks it can't happen to them
Hi Sylvan did you have any idea where I could find information about getting new ceramic valves into my old Pfister body like I was just asking HJ? And whether or not a diverter that could be retrofitted and had spooling capability?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hi Sylvan did you have any idea where I could find information about getting new ceramic valves into my old Pfister body like I was just asking HJ? And whether or not a diverter that could be retrofitted and had spooling capability?

Whenever I needed to rebuild a shower body Prior to 1990 I used NY replacement parts https://www.nyrpcorp.com/

Because of the numerous lawsuits I work on I no longer get involved in repairing a non scald type shower as it is not worth the risk

PFister is a great company as they do warrantee their parts for ever

They send me a case one time of kitchen and bathroom faucets to evaluate

The parent company is Black and decker not known for high quality but they do stand behind their products

Rather than waste time and money call them . BUT I still think your safer using a anti scald shower

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As was said earlier, in most cases you cannot just replace an old valve body unless it meets current anti-scald tech. The valve you have does not. Should you ever want to sell the house, that may be an issue, too. In the meantime, you're at more risk for yourself and your loved ones. This may require a remodeling plate to cover the hole, and while maybe easier if you have access from the back, usually can be done from the front in the shower. There are some ways to incorporate the required anti-scald tech by adding another part behind the wall, but by then, you've likely spent more than a new suitable valve that has it built-in.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
We totally agree that it shouldn't even be considered to repaired

When selling home most home inspectors I came across have no idea what they are looking for such as air cell insulation being asbestos or improper relief valve /safety valves installation

It is for the safety of the people living in the home not for the future buyer.

I am working on a case now the suit is in the multimillion dollar range

Am old lady had a home care attendant taking care of her and the home attendant wanted to take a quick shower

Because of stacking and the low flow shower head and someone neglecting to read directions on the setting and limitations of a tempering valve she was several scalded over 60% of her body .

She will never be the same even after a bunch of skin grafts and operations

Total time for the scalding to happen was less than 3 seconds

The master plumber who sent a journeyman to work on the potable hot water system is going to face criminal neglect charges , loss of his license and have it on his conscience he ruined someone for life

I am not only working for the law firm that she hired I am also working for his insurance company as it is not considered a conflict of interest because If I can prove it is negligence of the part of his journeyman then the insurance company will not cover negligence so they are paying me as they saw my deposition

I never had a double dipping case working for a victim and against another plumber working for his insurance company

Legally I am allowed to double bill as each one is considered a seperate account

Hard to imagine replacing a shower valve that cost under $200 (E BAY) could have prevent this plus tile work etc so the job would still be under $3,000

Also many times a plumber will replace a shower body and put on the invoice " Leaking inside the wall hard to open the tile wall and located the source of the leak"

Since the wall was open the insurance company (depending on policy) will pay for the opening of the wall to locate a leak and closing of the walls and tiling if needed BUT they do not cover the actual plumbing work such as piping and fitting or the labor other then opening and closing by others

The rate does not go up from one claim as I work with several insurance adjusters

Todd Jack

Reaction score
We totally agree that it shouldn't even be considered to repaired

When selling home most home inspectors I came across have no idea what they are looking for such as air cell insulation being asbestos or improper relief valve /safety valves installation

It is for the safety of the people living in the home not for the future buyer.

I am working on a case now the suit is in the multimillion dollar range

Am old lady had a home care attendant taking care of her and the home attendant wanted to take a quick shower

Because of stacking and the low flow shower head and someone neglecting to read directions on the setting and limitations of a tempering valve she was several scalded over 60% of her body .

She will never be the same even after a bunch of skin grafts and operations

Total time for the scalding to happen was less than 3 seconds

The master plumber who sent a journeyman to work on the potable hot water system is going to face criminal neglect charges , loss of his license and have it on his conscience he ruined someone for life

I am not only working for the law firm that she hired I am also working for his insurance company as it is not considered a conflict of interest because If I can prove it is negligence of the part of his journeyman then the insurance company will not cover negligence so they are paying me as they saw my deposition

I never had a double dipping case working for a victim and against another plumber working for his insurance company

Legally I am allowed to double bill as each one is considered a seperate account

Hard to imagine replacing a shower valve that cost under $200 (E BAY) could have prevent this plus tile work etc so the job would still be under $3,000

Also many times a plumber will replace a shower body and put on the invoice " Leaking inside the wall hard to open the tile wall and located the source of the leak"

Since the wall was open the insurance company (depending on policy) will pay for the opening of the wall to locate a leak and closing of the walls and tiling if needed BUT they do not cover the actual plumbing work such as piping and fitting or the labor other then opening and closing by others

The rate does not go up from one claim as I work with several insurance adjusters

So I am assuming you folks are plumbers with decades of experience. I have seen posts on forums that hint at being able to put ceramic h/c and diverter into old style pp 3 handle. Maybe by removing the seats but how would that help? Anyway If that is possible then do the new style 3 handle diverters have balancing in them? I get the scalding. I am looking for technical information and pfaucet says not possible but people love to say no, it’s easier. Thanks for the info!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks