3" threaded brass wye fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Lakee911, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Hello!

I noticed this in a picture I took of a house I am buying.... is this a 3" threaded brass wye? Would it be common for the female end (inserted into that hub coming out of the floor) to be threaded?

The 3" copper goes off to an addition that houses a half bath. I can't quite figure out what was here before the addition. Maybe just a clean-out?

It has to come out to fix that laundry drain going to the floor drain...

[​IMG]

Thx!
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

It's a clean out, and it's cast iron not brass. Only the plug and the reducing coupling going into it are brass.
  3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

I would be more concerned with the laundry tub being hooked up to the floor drain.

John
  4. Lakee911

Well, that's a bummer. I thought that maybe when it came out it might be worth a buck. Thanks.

Did you see this part? :)

5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

A little less than a buck but close
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Afer it "comes out", how are YOU going to connect the laundry sink. It will NOT be a job for a PVC or ABS replacement.
  7. Lakee911

I'm going to remove the wye and install a new wye with a donut into the existing hub. That wye will either be a 3"x3"x2" and connect over to the sink and washer, or I might find that I need to remove that 45deg down to the wye laying horizontally in the floor if I have too much height. I'll place another wye on top and connect over to the 3" copper pipe, which has plenty of slope, with a banded coupling. I'll add a new vent to the laundry sink and washer. If I can tie into an existing vent I will, or I'll use a AAV. This isn't the main stack for the house--that's a bit to right upstream of this and out of the picture. Thoughts?

Jason
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. hj

You CANNOT raise the connection for the 3" copper line, and if you stack another tee on top of it, it will be too high for the laundry sink.
  9. Lakee911

But I can! I'll have to cut it back first ... there is plenty of slope outside of the picture. Its coming down from a bath one story up. I'll connect the sink low enough so it will drain (thus removing the existing wye and mabe the 45).

Suppose I couldn't though...how about a double wye or a side outlet wye?

When I take possesion of the house, I will measure carefully before cutting... :)

Jason
  10. hj

There are several fittings, you COULD use, but it depends on what the stores in your area have. Good luck finding a "side inlet Y" because I have never seen one.
  11. Lakee911

314D5B876E5626441389D60BC84DFFB2_A18AB4B8976222B00CB42FD9914A8EBA.detail[1].JPG :D I bet no one stocks it. LOL
  12. hj

I can imagine the joy in the factory when they got your order. "Attention everybody. We just got an order for a side inlet Y, so we have to stop whatever you are doing and convert over to that mold so we can make one for him. Once that is done put everything back to normal and continue with what you were doing". No catalog that I have ever seen has had that fitting as far as I know. But you would probably need a combo, NOT a "Y", anyway,
  13. Lakee911

LOL I am not going to use it but I did find it on a popular website for less than a Jackson. It was, in fact, a '3" PVC DWV Wye and 45° Elbow Combo w/ 2" R Side Inlet.'

If all goes well we close on Aug 10 so stay tuned....
  14. kevink1955

kevink1955 Member

Funny but in 2001 I replaced all the cast iron in my basement with PVC (the cast had rusted out). The top fitting just before the first floor level was a side inlet cast T/Y. Very common in my area.

I went to a local supply house who has every PVC fitting ever made neatly aranged in bins, took a walk in the back and pulled the exact fitting I needed out of the bin. The place has since gone over to a bath show room, I wonder what happened to all those odd ball PVC fittings
  15. hj

Side inlet TY, or sanitary tees are as common as flies, and almost every house installation uses at least one of them. Side inlet "Y"s or "combos either do not exist, or are so rare that they are unobtainable.
  16. Lakee911

Well, when we did our walk through of the house we discovered an extra storage room...it was previously a dark room and before that it was the coal storage room. It had been finished off and we decided to use that for our laundry area. I won't get to tackle the brass fittings and cast iron pipe. Oh well.
    Jason