3 questions regarding installation of a replacement assembly to stop a Jacuzzi leak.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by celife, Dec 12, 2013.

1. celife

celife New Member

jacuzzi-leak-near.jpg jacuzzi-leak-far.jpg

I recently purchased this assembly to repair a leak in my Jacuzzi: http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Heater-Union-Split-Nut-Assembly---2-P797C717.aspx

As I wait for it to arrive, I have 3 questions related to its installation:

1. Will the installation of this replacement assembly require PVC Primer & PVC Cement?

2. In the image “jacuzzi-leak-far.jpg” you can see that there doesn’t appear to be much space for the pipes to the right of this assembly to move to allow enough space or “give” to remove the old assembly and replace the new one. In your experience, do you think there will be space enough to remove it?

3. My first attempted solution was to stop the leak with JB Weld WaterWeld, which you can see in the pic “jacuzzi-leak-near.jpg”. I am wondering if loosening the black union will cause the white piece to its right to crack because the two or now fused (to some degree) by the WaterWeld. Or, do you think the WaterWeld seal will break apart under the torque of the black union being loosened?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

1. It will to connect the pipe to the "tailpiece"

2. No way to tell because we cannot see the rest of the piping.

3. The Water Weld may NOT crack, but since you have to cut the pipe anyway, cut it first and it will rotate as you remove the nut.
  3. celife

celife New Member

Thanks for your feedback.