3-Piece Shower Drain w/Liner - Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

A Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Drain installed with liner and leak is between liner & sub-floor. Shower installed with pre-poured molded pan from marble company with stone walls.
Pier & beam home. Installer returned & siliconed around drain & did not silicone weep holes closed. Has not been water tested at this time. Drying thoroughly.
Will this hold up if there is no leak? Is there any way to replace this from underneath the house. Concerned and nauseous. Replies appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not certain of what you have. Is this a preformed pan that is the finished surface? Underneath it, (flat on the floor?) you have a liner into a clamping drain? How is the pan connected to the drain? Maybe a picture would help.

A Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Custom poured pan, finished surface. Installed a 3 piece drain w/liner (the type used in tile showers) and I've also heard it referred to as a clamping drain. The drain was installed into the pan. The pipe under the house was not installed until days later and when water tested water was leaking from between the liner and sub floor. Once this was discovered silicone was added to the drain from the top side leaving weep holes open. I'm not sure where exactly silicone was applied. We have not water tested for leaks since that was done. Will be able to test drain this weekend. I'm just wondering if it still leaks can something be done with out tearing out entire shower? If it doesn't leak, seems the silicone worked but is it a bandaid or was it missed in initial installation and all is ok. If you need more details let me know.
2013-06-20 13.36.33.jpg2013-07-04 22.12.38.jpg

After reading a resurrected post about hot mop & liners I'm like to add that maybe the installer didn't clamp the drain down tight. How else would water get in between that area? They came back, cussed & discussed with foreman & decided to use silicone and will return Monday. I'm planning to test it Sunday.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Leaking Three Piece Clamping Drain

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

It is for exactly the pickle you find your self in that every shower needs to be flood tested? Did you have a permit on this job? All of North America requires a flood test. If you have permits did the flood test get done - it should have and you should have a notation from the inspector. If you have no permits then sadly you get what you get and you have little recourse at this point.

When the rubber liner gets set over the clamping drain a sealant should be used between the liner and the drain base then the clamping screws tightened down. Not all drains are created equal and I have found many PVC and ABS drain sold that can handle little to no pressure on them.

Can you inspect the underside of the drain from below?

JW

A Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Thanks John.

It's a long story, simple put no permit.

I do know that the installer used a small bead of sealant and it was later discovered he should have used more (that's what I'm hearing). Came back applied more sealant. Whether it got in the right spot now is a mystery to me. We've check the weep holes they are not compromised. I believe the drain is quality. From your explanation it sounds like we may be ok. The proof will be this weekend.

Yes we can do whatever from under the house we just don't know how far to go.

ADM

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks John.

It's a long story, simple put no permit.

I do know that the installer used a small bead of sealant and it was later discovered he should have used more (that's what I'm hearing). Came back applied more sealant. Whether it got in the right spot now is a mystery to me. We've check the weep holes they are not compromised. I believe the drain is quality. From your explanation it sounds like we may be ok. The proof will be this weekend.

Yes we can do whatever from under the house we just don't know how far to go.

ADM

If you can view from below then you should be able to get some piece of mind that the repair is holding. It might be something you check. To test the repair make sure you use the shower and not just run the water from the shower head. Often it is the weigh of the user that can cause flex at the drain connection.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks