3 inch Double Fixture Fitting with 2 inch reducers?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Steve1911, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Steve1911

Steve1911 New Member

I am fixing a poorly done single to double vanity conversion. I have a 3 inch stack (3 inch drain and 3 inch vent pipe, inline) in the wall that I will be attaching the vertical hubs of a Double Fixture Fitting, but I need 2 inch hubs on the horizontals to stub out the sink drains with 2 inch (or 1 1/2 inch?) abs. The smaller diameter pipe is also necessary to go through my wall studs.

Is there any reason I should not cement 2 inch reducers to the 3 inch horizontal hubs of the Double Fixture Fitting?

Crude diagram of my elusive Double Fixture Fitting. Thanks for the help.
    ll
    2= =2
    ll
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Have you ever seen a 3" double fixture fitting? If they exist, it is not something we normally see.
  3. Steve1911

Steve1911 New Member

Thanks for the reply. This is what I found from grainger 3 inches all around?

http://www.grainger.com/product/MUELLER-INDUSTRIES-Double-Fixture-Wye-3GUR6?s_pp=false

If that doesn't work with 2 inch reducers on the horizontals, or the sizing is not actually what I think it is, is there anything wrong with buying a 2 inch Double Fixture Fitting and using reducers (3 inch to 2 inch couplings) to fit my vertical 3 inch vent and 3 inch drain to the 2 inch Double fixture fitting?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

No problem using the reducers.
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I have to back-pedal a bit on my comment, as the 3" double fixture fitting is pretty much unheard of in the stores around here. ABS drain piping is pretty much unheard of here also, but that is a whole different topic.

If you had such a fitting, there would be no reason you could not use reducers on the inlets. You can always go from a small trap arm to a larger drain, but never the other way around.
  6. Steve1911

Steve1911 New Member

Thank you both.
  7. Steve1911

Steve1911 New Member

Thanks for the information so far. This is my plan and I just would like you guys to check it out and critique if necessary. Specifically, will the 3"-1.5" flush bushings be acceptable and are the trap arm lengths OK. I like the 1.5" trap arms as opposed to the 2" in my original post due to the wall studs being 2x4's. I will also re route the supply lines to come out of the wall instead of the floor.
    Vanity Plan.jpg
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I used to install a lot of them. With the new 3" flush valve toilets, I prefer to plumb them seperately now.

It should be fine for the lavs there.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  9. Steve1911

Steve1911 New Member

Excellent. My worry was the 1.5 inch flush bushings in the inlets of the double fixture fitting would mess with the water flow but it seems I'm good to go.
    Time to order the parts and get to work. My goal is to make it look as good as some of the pictures I've seen here. You guys are a great help. Thanks