3 inch copper drain no flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by rct5277, Mar 7, 2006.

1. rct5277

rct5277 New Member

First time bathroom remodeler here. After installing my new floor I proceed to install the toilet. Unfortunately I noticed that there was no flange. I have a 3 inch copper pipe with no flange. The toilet was previous installed with only a wax gasket and a super ring.

Do I put it back this way or should I install a flange? If I install a flange I have no access from below, can I solder from above?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

copper

Yes you need a flange, and the best way is to solder it from above.
  3. rct5277

rct5277 New Member

Thanks.

If you don't mind I just want to clarify "from above." This does mean that I would be soldering the inside of the flange where the flange and pipe meet. I just want to make sure I fully understand before I tackle the job. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

Yes, but it would not be that plastic or steel flange you show in the photo. It would be a brass one and it would slide over the pipe. You would heat the joint from the inside of the copper riser.