3 handle bathtub diverter stem replacement- how to find proper replacement part

Users who are viewing this thread

anne thies

Reaction score
my home was a foreclosure and never had diverter stem or knob. the hot and cold stems are corroded into the seat assembly but after much trial and error i found the correct size and thread for this diverter, but it still isnt working correctly, the knob will only turn about 33 degrees counter-clockwise before it begins to unscrew from the valve assembly.

what am i doing incorrectly? i tried everything possible as suggested in this and other threads and now when i turn the knob on my diverter counter-clockwise to the point where anything comes out of shower head the diverter begins to unscrew from the seat behind the wall. if i turn the knob clockwise it cuts off water completely- nothing coming out of shower head or tub filler. i turn the knob about 20 degrees counter-clockwise and i get a good flow of water from bathtub filler. i go further counter-clockwise and i get a decreased flow out of bathtub and drips from shower head... but any further the entire stem begins to unscrew and i have major leakage between stem assembly and seat behind wall.

the entire valve assembly is past its prime and needs to be replaced- i know. however we need a shower to use for at least the next 2 months since our entire master bed and bath is gutted and in the early stages of renovation.

what in the world am i doing wrong? is it possible this is still not the correct diverter assembly? i have tried three different models (the only 3 with correct connection size and thread) that i can find and the result is always the same. the hot and cold knobs are universal replacements with an inside adaptor so i have no way of determining the original make and model.... ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED- I AM AT MY WITS END!!!!

anne thies

Reaction score
This is a photo of what I am trying to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_6020-1.JPG
    IMG_6020-1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 364

Reach4

Reaction score
If you posted a wider picture, what would we see? Tub? shower head? When you say diverter, do you mean one of these?
images

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think that if you replaced the spout with a cheap diverter spout, such as what I pictured, you could find a setting on your existing diverter that would feed water up to the showerhead? Try stopping the water from the tub spout with your hand to experiment. This could function for you for a couple of months.

Last edited:

anne thies

Reaction score
so even though this is a 3 knob faucet system with separate tub filler would this work? basically i would just install a tub spout with pull up type diverter and divert the water this way?

Reach4

Reaction score
so even though this is a 3 knob faucet system with separate tub filler would this work? basically i would just install a tub spout with pull up type diverter and divert the water this way?
That is my suspicion, which you can test with your hand. Your hand will act like the pull-up handle to block the flow from the spout.

And if that test works, and you did not intend to use the spout-- even for filling buckets-- you could even replace the spout with a nipple and a cap instead of a diverter spout for those 2 months.

I am not a plumber...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks