3" Copper to PVC Coupling?

Users who are viewing this thread

jhetzig

Reaction score
I'm a home owner moving a toilet 10 inches closer to a side wall (per my wife!) in an upstairs bathroom. This 2nd floor toilet drain pipe is 3" copper which i cut and now need to connect to 3 inch PVC or something. This 3" copper pipe runs/ran straight vertically from the toilet flange to the basement of the house in a 3-1/2" thick wall that runs between my downstairs kitchen and bathroom. I bought a rubber coupling that is supposed to connect copper to PVC but it is way too loose around the copper and, I discovered, the coupling doesn't fit in the wall so i can't just wrap the pipe with electrical tape (which I was tempted). Where I cut the copper pipe is at the top of the wall so the other end of this coupling is in my floor, above the wall, where i have more room. And yes for 10" the run for the toilet is going to be horizontal (I can't put a wye in the wall without moving electrical and my 10" floor joists don't give me enough room to put 3" 45 degree bends together). So, i need a 3" coupling that fits copper tightly on one end but then I need to make the 90 degree bend as close to where i cut the copper as possible. Ideally, If there is a rubber fitting/coupling that fit copper tightly and made a flex bend that would be the perfect hack (perfect because it would allow the forgiveness to allow everything to point downhill slighly) I also need to tie in a combination sink drain/vent pipe somewhere
so instead of the pipe just going over 10 inches closer to the wall i'm going
in then over then back then up... all within the height of the floor joists.
Any ideas? Comments. I am having fun.
Thanks, Jim

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need what is called a Banded Coupling that specificly goes from copper to plastic.

Some of the big box stores and most plumbing supply stores carry them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Your description doesn't give us a lot of information to work with. If that drain line dropped from the toilet directly to the basement without a vent, then that toilet should have "sucked" anything within 10' of it down the drain when you flushed the toilet. There may be many ways to accomplish your task, but using your description, we cannot tell you exactly how to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks