3/4" or 1/2" thermostatic valve

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by stephenson, Jul 9, 2013.

1. stephenson

stephenson Member

In a previous post I asked about using a transfer valve for three fixtures in shower ...wife finally decided she only wanted two (shower and a separate hand held) so we shifted from using a transfer valve to using separate volume valves, but local plumbing supply house is telling her she doesn't need 3/4" thermo valve and should use 1/2" - given this is second floor master bath on a well with pressure tank, I think we do, and worst case while more expensive by about $100 it doesn't seem like it could hurt. Thermo valve is Kohler 2975 and volume valves are K 2977.

I was gonna just T off the output side of the thermo valve and run to each fixture head. Should i just go straight up to a T and run left and right off that, or is it OK to run T "sideways" off line to shower then other fixture off that? i am assuming when one is open and you select the other volume valve there will be some momentary rebalancing since is a simple T design? Could I just use the tub outlet on the thermo valve instead?

Thanks!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Some companies say NOT to use the tub outlet for a shower fixture, but do not explain why. As for the valve size, it depends on how much water you need. A recent test found that if you have a high volume valve and low volume heads the temperature may not stay constant.
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Interesting HJ - where did you read this study?
  4. stephenson

stephenson Member

I was planning on "matching" with 3/4 tstat to 3/4 volume control,or 1/2 to 1/2 if that was the recommendation.

A further point is that I am using CVPC which has smaller internal diameter than copper or PEX, so 3/4" may not provide that much difference.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It was in one of last month's trade magazines, but I cannot remember which one, since I get so many, and was in relation to the current practice of installing a large valve with a "lot" of devices, but only using one or two at a time.
  6. johnfrwhipple

Your 3/4" pipe is not going to be the same as 3/4" copper. Closer to 1/2".

I would swap out and go with two flow valves verses the "Pick 1of 3 Style".

It's best when Mommy and Daddy can share the shower and stay warm together. My wife always gets the shower fixture when we take a shower together - I'm not complaining any shower time with Mommy is worth any personal sacrifice I have to make!
  7. stephenson

stephenson Member

So, checked with Kohler and they confirmed to just match diameters ... wife ordered the 3/4" versions of the thermostatic valve and two volume valves. Think I'll test it before closing walls in :)
  8. johnfrwhipple

Isolated the new plumbing work and bring the pressure up to 200PSI and see if your work can hold that for a hour. JW
  9. stephenson

stephenson Member

Got the 3/4" valves - nice work by Kohler, and looks to be pretty straightforward to install and plumb. A bit confused now, though.

I will run 3/4" pipe from tvalve to the volume valves via a simple T ... thermo valve near waist high, then 3/4" up towards the shower arm drop ear with a T between the two that runs to the second valve about a foot away with 3/4 leading to the drop ear for a hand held shower. My confusion ... aren't most shower arms 1/2" ... and, aren't most of the hand held shower supply elbows 1/2"? I have always used 1/2 valves and plumbing ... am I missing something REALLY simple?
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

INdividual shower outlets are regulated to a maximum of 2.5gpm, so there's not much need to make them for bigger than 1/2". But, reducing fittings are readily available. It becomes a max flow issue when you start to want to run more than one at a time - this is where your 3/4" supply can keep them all flowing at their max.
  11. stephenson

stephenson Member

Thanks ...so just use 3/4 in long runs and reduce to 1/2 prior to the drop ear?
  12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That should work...
  13. stephenson

stephenson Member

So, finally getting back to closing out threads from bathroom remodel ...Kohler valves worked great ... 3/4" Thermo valve and two diverters worked great ...just reduced 3/4 to 1/2" on the way to the fixed shower and handheld shower heads. Have lots of pressure, even with well water and usual pressure tank system. Separate diverter valve for heads separated by a couple of feet was fine. Thanks again for all the great advice.