3/4 or 1/2 shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

lybern

Reaction score
We are rebuilding our shower. The walls are open and we can do it with 3/4 or 1/2. We are using PEX. I am undecided. On one hand, I like the idea of increased water flow for nice strong showers with 3/4. On the other hand, the 1/2 fixtures are a lot less expensive and there is a lot more choice. Also, we like the idea of conserving water, especially since we have a private well. But, then again, I really like a nice strong shower. Is there any way to get the advantages of 3/4 without the disadvantages (expense)? (My plumber is also making a lot of noise about the idea of using 3/4 - I think that means the price goes up.) Does it make a difference that we want to use PEX? I have just a few hours to make up my mind. I have already bought both 1/2 and 3/4 valves, so I am ready - just don't have a decision! I'd love to have a good understanding of the issues - also if it matters that in the end the arm to the shower head is standard. By the way, we will be using 1 fixed head and 1 hand-held - maybe at the same time occassionally.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
good info given. You seem to have a good grasp.

With only two showerheads, you'll be satisfied with the smallest Pex and the smallest valves.
....I like the idea of increased water flow for nice strong showers with 3/4. ... Also... we have a private well. But, then again, I really like a nice strong shower. ....

1/2" valves are the flow limiting factors. 3/4" Pex is about the same cost and labor, in my opinion. But installing it is not an advantage, it's just a bigger pipe leading to a 1/2" valve connected to two showerheads.

"Strong" shower feeling will be provided by the showerheads.

Pipe diameter is not a limiting factor, with two shower heads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

With most valves the restriction to flow is in the valve itself. That is what determines how much water you get, NOT the pipe size in most cases. Even 3/4" shower valves have openings smaller than a 1/2" copper line, but PEX is smaller than that. With PEX you need 3/4" to approximate the capacity of 1/2" copper.

lybern

Reaction score
ID PEX vs. Copper

Is the inside diameter of 3/4 PEX different from the ID of 3/4 copper? I can understand that PEX has thicker walls than copper, but wouldn't the inside diameter be consistant? If not, why not call it what it really is, like 5/8"?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

IPS sized pipes ALL have the same o.d. as steel pipe, regardless of what the i.d. is. PEX and all other CTS, (copper tube size), have the o.d. of copper tubing, but the i.d. varies according to the wall thickness. IF the i.d. stayed the same and the o.d. varied, they would have to make different fittings for every grade of pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks