3/4 Inch Water Supply, 1 Inch Water Softner???

Users who are viewing this thread

Hunting Businessman

Reaction score
Based upon the hard water at our home (42 grains) I need a higher capacity water softner. I found a softner that seems to be able to do what I need, but it's a 1 inch connection size, and our home has a 3/4 inch supply line.

A couple questions for those more educated than I:

Is there anything wrong with enhancing the line size before the softner and reducing it again once it's through?
Are there any side effects (low flow, not all the water is truly softned, etc.)?

I am planning on getting the softner at the link below (North Star NSTUD1):

Is there any reason I shouldn't get this or do you have a better one to recommend for me? (It's just my wife and I, no abnormal water usage).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT will work just as good as a 1" softener with 1 1/4" pipe from the wall. All softeners do the same job. A larger capacity one just regenerates less frequently. That unit is rated up to 20 grains so with 42 grains it will regenerate after about every 1,000 gallons of flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks