3/4 Inch Water Supply, 1 Inch Water Softner???

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Hunting Businessman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Hunting Businessman

Hunting Businessman New Member

Based upon the hard water at our home (42 grains) I need a higher capacity water softner. I found a softner that seems to be able to do what I need, but it's a 1 inch connection size, and our home has a 3/4 inch supply line.

A couple questions for those more educated than I:

Is there anything wrong with enhancing the line size before the softner and reducing it again once it's through?
    Are there any side effects (low flow, not all the water is truly softned, etc.)?

I am planning on getting the softner at the link below (North Star NSTUD1):

Is there any reason I shouldn't get this or do you have a better one to recommend for me? (It's just my wife and I, no abnormal water usage).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Short of re-piping the house you are going to have to reduce. I'd make the reductions at or as close to the softener as possible
  3. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

They make a 1" female thread by 3/4" PVC adaptor if your plan to use PVC. This would be threaded on the adaptor provided with the bypass for that unit. I would not recommend a NorthStar. You can find better units for about the same price. Fleck and Clack make betters and will last longer.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

There is no problem in using 1" to the softener and then going back to the 3/4" after it. And there is no problem with reducing the 1" to your 3/4" plumbing.

The North Star is not a good choice IMO and without me doing the math, a 1.5 cuft (45K) softener is probably too small. To get 45K you must use 22.5 lbs of salt per regeneration. That is very poor salt efficiency (2000 grains/lb). To learn more about that click on the link in my signature.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Good pick up on that. I was focusing on the piping issue but I agree with you on both counts. North Star would not be my choice of equipment and it's too small also.
  6. Hunting Businessman

Hunting Businessman New Member

You gentlemen obviously know more than I do about this stuff. Knowing my hardness (42g) and usage (2 people, normal usage) what specific Fleck or Clack unit would you go with? I'm out of my league here. Thanks again for your feedback!
  7. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

If you want to DIY, the calculation for sizing is pretty simple (see the link in post #4 above). There are several on-line vendors offering step-by-step sizing and system-choosing procedures that lead you to a properly-sized system. Read a few threads in this forum to see what the pros think about Fleck vs Clack; I sensed a leaning toward Clack. I checked a couple of sites that provided complete systems, shipped, for a lot less than the North Star you're looking at. I would choose a digitally programmed demand-based unit, which is supposed to save water, and IMHO is easier for the DIYer to set up. But there's still the plumbing, setup, and maintenance to be bothered with, and those sacks of salt get a lot heavier over time. All in all, you might be better off just calling the Culligan Man if there's one in your local area, and all you'd have to do is write a check now and then -- and I'm pretty sure they could arrange for that to be done automatically.