3/4 inch or 1/2 inch for vertical pipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

ario

Reaction score
I am going to run 3/4 copper for my horizontals and was wondering if there is any advantage to doing 3/4 for the verticals? I want a powerful shower and even though the shower vavle openings look kinda small, I thought maybe 3/4 inch would be better than 1/2 inch for the supplies and head?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only time you might need 3/4" is if you have more than one shower head outlet. "Standard" new showerheads are flow restricted, and 1/2" is plenty. Having 3/4" is almost a necessity if you have more than one. It also helps to fill the tub faster, if your valve is designed for 3/4" inputs (some are, most aren't). It depends on how many outlets are open at the same time. If you have many on a 1/2" supply, you may not be able to maintain pressure - then 3/4" (or even larger!) may be necessary.

Not a pro...

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Pipe Sizes

If you're referring to the water supply piping in the bathroom wall and you're installing a regular shower valve with one 2.5 gallon per minute head, 1/2" feed lines for the faucet are adequate, especially if the inlets to the valve are 1/2".
Now if you are talking about horizontal lines in the basement and asking which size piping to bring up (vertically) to the bathroom, it would be 3/4". I always pipe 3/4" copper feed lines to the second to last fixture.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Showerheads

Much of what is considered power from a shower comes from the quality of the shower head. It's design to incorporate air into the water gives the feeling of force or power. An $80.00 shower head is worth as much as the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks