2nd sprinkler meter

Users who are viewing this thread

shamrock_94

Reaction score
I'm doing some work to install a 2nd water meter for my outside watering (underground irrigation & hose bibs). The incoming service line is 3/4", the line to the underground irrigation is 1", and the hose bibs are 1/2". I imagine I will connect the service line with the sprinkler line (3/4"x1" coupling), but for the 1/2" hose bibs, should those be branched off the 3/4" line or the 1", or does it really matter?

thanks in advance

Kiril

Reaction score
POC -> backflow protection -> meter -> then to all your service points.

Check with your local water purveyor to be sure your meeting any local codes.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps your local utility requires a second meter, if so you're stuck with it. However, here's how my city work it. One meter which is read during the dead of winter to establish my household usage which also determines my sewer rate. From the meter, I come with 1" copper then a tee. One branch goes straight to the house for household use. This is 5 feet below ground level. The second branch has a stop and waste valve then is elbowed up toward the surface. Just below the surface in a utility control box is my back flow preventer. From the preventer, I elbowed down about a foot or so and then this line runs to the manifold for the irrigation system. In the fall, I just turn the stop and waste off, remove the preventer (unions on both sides). I attach my air compressor to the sprinkler line, open one zone at a time, and blow the lines. Having 2 meters is really a waste of money unless required by local authorities. Well, it still would be a waste, but you can't fight city hall!

Kiril

Reaction score
Some cities charge different rates for landscape water. If the city supports this type of rate structure, and you irrigate your landscape, it is in your best interest to put a second meter in.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
yup...I am getting ready to install a rainbird system myself. I am going to cut into the copper inside the basement..the wife is freaking, put a TEE in , go through the wall to the garage put in a ball valve, section of copper, then a copper to pvc union, pvb a drain cap then blast through the wall to supply the proposed system....on the outside I will put in a submeter.

The water company doesn't like the idea , they have to read a second meter, the doesn't like it so much ,they loose sewer revenue.

if doing it your self, you may realize savings...if having a contractor put one in you'll need a second mortgage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
second meter

Here, the water company would not protest it, but they would also not let you install it yourself. They own everything up to the point where your house connects, including the meter, and it is a $10,000.00 fine if you work on the piping ahead of the meter which is where your "do it yourself" meter should connect. And if your meter is after theirs, they could care less because they would not read it anyway.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anytime you tee the domestic water line to add irrigation you MUST install a back flow preventer to avoid cross contamination of your household water with contaminated water from the irrigation line. I suggest you read my previous reply to the original question. As I point out there, my city uses a mid winter reading to determine my normal household use and during irrigation season, the amount over that amount is not billed for sewer use. It's a heck of a lot less expense for the homeowner not having to buy a second meter and easier for the city not having to have two readings. Bottom line is of course, you have to abide by your city's rules. I can not imagine they would not have a back flow preventer requirement, but even if they do not, you should protect yourself and your family not to mention the rest of the people on your mainline from possible contaminated water.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here, you will pay through the nose to install a second meter, but you do not pay sewer fees on the usage, so your usage is billed at about 1/2 then rate of the household water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks