2nd floor subpanel

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
When installing a 30 amp subpanel to a second story does the line ( 10/3 ) need to be ran within conduit? And can this subpanel be installed within a closet? Thanks

OscarG

Reaction score
Not a licensed pro, but do have EE and have done much of my own work and passed all inspections.
When installing a 30 amp sub panel to a second story does the line ( 10/3 ) need to be ran within conduit?
Not necessairly... 10/3 with Gnd NM could be used if not precluded for use in your situation (wet, subject to damage, etc.) You DO NEED 4 conductor cable; 2 hot, 1 neutral and ground. Bonding screw or link must me removed from sub panel so the neutral and ground are separate.

can this sub panel be installed within a closet?
NO!

There are also clearance requirements around panels to permit access. Check applicable code for your location, but, absolutely NOT IN CLOSET.

Sounds like a small sub panel so you probably will not exceed the 6 breaker limit beyond which you must include a main disconnect in the sub panel.

Jed54

Reaction score
I discovered Lowes & Home Depot didn't carry any 30 amp service panels. I guess I'm down to a electrical supplier......... ?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jed54 said:
I discovered Lowes & Home Depot didn't carry any 30 amp service panels. I guess I'm down to a electrical supplier......... ?

Buy a bigger panel. You will probably find a 60 or 100 Amp 12 circuit panel for about $30 at HD. The size of the wire is controlled by the breaker in the panel that supplies the feeder to the subpanel; not the amp rating of the subpanel.

The 6 breaker limit without a main applies only to service panels 230.71 and subpanels in separate buildings 225.33. You can run as many breakers as you want without a main in a subpanel that is protected with a breaker back at the main, as long as it is within the same building as the panel supplying the subpanel.

Jed54

Reaction score
So basically buying (for instance) a 100 amp service panel I can just use a 30 amp breaker (main) and use a maximum of 6 15 amp breakers.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jed54 said:
So basically buying (for instance) a 100 amp service panel I can just use a 30 amp breaker (main) and use a maximum of 6 15 amp breakers.

1. You can install any size (Amp capacity) panel as a subpanel without regard to the wires serving the panel.
2. The wires to the subpanel are called feeders.
3. The feeder circuit must be protected by a circuit breaker in the panel from which it originates, where the breaker supplying the feeder is sized to be not greater than the ampacity of the feeder conductors.
4. For a subpanel in the same building as the panel from which the feeder originates you may have as many as 42 circuits without a main breaker in the subpanel. Forty-two circuits is the maximum number allowed in one panel.

Last edited:

Jed54

Reaction score
10/4 cable

I checked Home Depot & Lowes for 10/4 cable..... all I've seen was 10/3. Grainger only handles contractor rolls $600.00 plus......... Any other resources to check for this.....? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks