2nd floor shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon Lorusso

Reaction score
My house was built in 1811. The 2nd floor subflooring is the kitchen ceiling. Currently there are unsightly (unsoundly?) toilet and shower drains routed directly over the kitchen table.

My plan is to use a backflush (read drain) toilet and a "step-up" shower to move the drain pipes above the subflooring. I've got about 12' to traverse for the shower drain.

What would you recommend for the height of the step-up into the shower?

Have you ever used a "shallow p-trap" or a HepVo "waterless" trap?

Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I don't think they would be excepted by any plumbing code. All it would take for it not to seal would be to get something on the seat.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What would you recommend for the height of the step-up into the shower?

The trap and pipe slope would almost demand that it be about 12", and the shower drain line would need its own vent properly positioned relative to the trap.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may want to consider a linear drain since it is normally installed at the edge of the shower rather than in the middle. This might allow you to place it closer to a wall (relative to the first floor) than using a conventional location in the middle of the shower. It also opens up other tile on the floor since they don't have to conform to multiple slopes (there's normally only one - i.e., it's flat, sloped to the drain rather than cupped). This might also allow you to box it in to hide it easier.

A raised shower will be hokey looking and potentially dangerous as most people expect the shower floor to be about the same height as the floor when exiting. Unless the ceiling is high enough to raise the whole bathroom, I don't think I'd like it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks