2500 gal Storage Tank installation

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rvcolt, Mar 6, 2009.

1. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

I am installing a 2500 gal backup storage tank to my well. Would it be a good idea to plumb and wire it so that I can run either one of three options.
    1. The well to house. In case of problem with the tank.
    2. The well through the tank to house.
    3. The tank alone to house. In case of well problems.
    Also which pump should I use? I think I need to use a float valve in the tank along with a timer because my well only produces about 4 gpm and I don't want to pull the water level down too much. I have had one cave in already but was able to pull the pump up and take out a 30ft section of pipe.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Jerry
  2. Nate R

Nate R New Member

I'm assuming he's burying it if he's had one cave in already. So I'm thinking color doesn't matter?
  3. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

Sorry, my bad. A tank did not collapse the wall of my well fell in on top of the pump. I was able to pull the pump up past it. It is black.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Have you looked into fixing the well?
  5. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

The well is working. I am putting the tank in for back up just in case I have anymore problems with the well.
  6. Gary Slusser

Have you looked into fixing the well?
  7. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

Yes, a bypass system is what I had in mind. I will research the mercury float switch. The tank is black.
    Thanks
  8. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

Thanks. Yes, I plan to do the work myself.
  9. Gary Slusser

Casing out the well should be able to be done for not much more, if not less, than this 2500 gal tank, pump, pressure tank, float switches plumbing etc. and wouldn't cause water quality problems that a cistern does. And then the well wouldn't be capable of caving in again as it can now.

Are you planning on how to clean and sanitize the tank? If you have any iron you'll have rust build up from the water line down in the tank and in TX, the heat and water temp is conducive for slime and other growth in the tank. You may have to buy water treatment equipment to treat the water.
  10. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

I was told that do to the diam. of the well no casing could be done, I would have to drill another. That's why I am doing this.
    I already have the tank sitting on a pad. I have a filtration system in place. Don't have a rust problem. I plan on treating it with clorine (sp).
  11. rvcolt

rvcolt New Member

Thank you. That is the thing I need the most help with. I have done electrical work but I am having trouble figuring out how to wire this. Any advice would really be appreicated. A diagrahm is most needed.
    Jerry