25 1/2 inch long toilet needed. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

shorehouse

Reaction score
My new construction requires a toilet not longer than 25.5 inches from the wall. Otherwise, the bathroom door cannot open fully. I'd prefer a one piece, but would settle for a two-piece. However, I cannot find any toilet of that length. Any suggestions?
Edit/Delete Message

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fire the architect.

If you can find a toilets shorter than 25.6" long, which by the way sets out from the wall 1" on a 12" rough to make it 27.5", then let us know.

You may be able to find a one piece Kohler that is a little shorter, but if you need what you are saying, then the plan never should have been drawn.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
It will probably be easier to reverse the swing of the door or possibly put in a pocket door than it will be able to find such a small toilet, if one even exists. Otherwise you will have to bust up the floor and either move that toilet elsewhere if possible or shift it sideways.

shorehouse

Reaction score
Thank you!

The architect agreed that it was his error, and agreed to remedy the problem by reducing the bathroom door size by 2 inches. Since it was a 2'8" door -- especially large, the solution works well. Thank you for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hmm, if that architect messed up so badly with such simple things, I wonder what other messes he/she created...

Yeah, Makes you wonder.
I plumbed a rebuild of a home on Lake Washington, owned by one of the Microsoft biggies sort of near St Edwards State Park.

I plumbed in the jetted tub according to the plan.
The pipe was all in.
The the designer came in and she said I should have know to flip it the other way, so you could see the water view as you were laying there.
To myself I"m thinking , well Duh, but that's how you drew it. I'm not going to change "your" design" to please myself.

So I tell her, that's a "change order" to replumb it.

She says no. Change it, because it's obvious that opposite of the plan is the right way. Cut out your plumbing, and re-drill across the living room ceiling, and no, I'm not going to pay you for doing it twice.

Yeah, like it was the plumbers fault for following the designers plan.

A week later, I showed her the downstairs bath I was going to plumb.
I asked her,
According to your plan, you won't be able to get into or out of the shower, with the toilet so close.

She said, just do it like the plan. Quit trying to think so much.

So I said, Okay, I will, but if you don't like it, it's going to be a change order this time.

She said quit making a big deal of this and plumb it according to the plan, I know what I'm doing.

So of course, when she saw the plumbing finished, she was aghast.
Oh no! It can't be this way! Change it now!
At least that time she signed for the change order.

The whole project was that way, for all of the trades.
At lunch we would laugh at what an idiot the designer was, and how much money we were losing trying to fix their mistakes.
We at least had other customers that knew how to build that knew construction techniques.
It's hard to convince someone that works in front of a computer, that they don't know more then construction professionals.

Months later, I saw the home pictured on the front page of the Sunday pullout. A big article by the home owner and the designer, bragging that they kept the stupid construction workers from messing up their beautiful home. How funny was that. Here we were losing money, trying to explain to two clueless people how a home goes together, and they think they are geniuses.

When the homeowner called a few years later about doing more plumbing for him, I told him I was too busy.
What was he thinking?

I couldn't work in that environment twice. Not for those two.

The last two home I designed and built, are now being lived in by home contractors. Those were built in 85 and 87
I see elements from my design now all over the Seattle area.
The Burnsteads come over one weekend, and tape measured the home, and six months later they were tweaking some of their plans,
The contractor on the hill, a smaller builder, was doing twenty plus home a year at that time, but later he kicked it up to about 100 a year.
It's funny driving by stuff that looks a little like the one I drew on my kitchen table in the early 80's

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Terry, I would of stuck to my guns when she did not want to do a change order for the bathtub. Especially when she told you to quit thinking so much and just follow the plans, which after all said and done she ended up having to change that as well. I mean heck you are not a mind reader, how would you know that she really wanted that tub to face the water view?

One of the many reasons I stay away from new construction and major remodels.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No matter HOW long the toilet is, where it sits in the room will depend on where the pipe is located in the floor. If the piping is installed according to the plans, it stays there unless someone wants to pay to have it moved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks