240V across mains but not across bus bars?

Users who are viewing this thread

ColdShower

Reaction score
ok I think I see...but I'm pretty sure the two suspect breakers are working ok since I tried those circuits on other breakers with the same result...albeit I did do a lot of different measurements putting the panel back together and may have got confused over what I was doing. I'll measure that way and see though.

Apparently the panel is made by Zinsco...the breakers look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Connecticut-Electric-UBIZ1515-Circuit-Two-1-Poles/dp/B000H5R6CI

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The Zinsco panels are well known to have problems with degradation of the buss and the breaker to buss connections.

If it were my panel, I would have the meter pulled and remove all the breakers including the main to inspect for any sign of corrosion or arcing at the buss to breaker contact points.

Many electricians recommend replacing these panels due to their reputation alone.

ColdShower

Reaction score
The Zinsco panels are well known to have problems with degradation of the buss and the breaker to buss connections.

If it were my panel, I would have the meter pulled and remove all the breakers including the main to inspect for any sign of corrosion or arcing at the buss to breaker contact points.

Many electricians recommend replacing these panels due to their reputation alone.

yeah it's a crap design...constant maintenance and expensive breakers. I didn't think I had a shut-off at the meter but I was wrong. Pried off the main and the connection on that one bus bar was "tight" but all like carbonized. Filed it off and adjusted the contacts and it's working...for now. I'll probably need a new main breaker before long...but first a hot shower! :)

thankya

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A good case made for better metals on the bars and the use of anti-oxidants. I had nearly the same problem, had to change the hot main, [bolted in, so not a fun bit of work] didnt want to go thru the hassle with the smart meter pull. One leg of the main gave partial readings relative to the meter bars.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks