230 volt question

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke76

Reaction score
I have a 230 volt irrigation pump located on a floating dock on a man-made lake subject to Army Corps of Engineers regulations. Power is supplied from the house to a power pole located on the lakeshore. the pump is wired to the peer pole with a breakaway plug. All has been installed by an electrician. As the lake level drops the dock is pushed further out to the point that I have cannot push it out any further without disconnecting the pump.

Is a 230 volt "extension cord" an option or would it be too dangerous given the voltage involved ? I can't find any on the Internet so that may be a cle but I thought I'd ask.

Thank you.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is a 230 volt "extension cord" an option or would it be too dangerous given the voltage involved ?

A 230V cord wouldn't be any different than a 120V cord. You would likely have to make one by installing the appropriate cord caps.

The connections on an extension cord would be very vulnerable to moisture/water. They would be laying on the ground I presume.

You might want to conside putting a new, longer cord on the pump.

I have no idea what the legal limits on something like that would be.

Duke76

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I want to add about 50' of wire. After thinking about some more it is probably best to disconnect the existing wire and put a watertight junction box under the gangway. I can add new wire from the junction box to the pump and have the connection made permanently in the junction box.

Must58GT

Reaction score
Irrigation pump on an extension cord?

Stay away from household/shop extension cords. Use Romex for underground applications or single strand wire and plastic conduit. The wire needs to be rated for the current load (surge/continuous) of the irrigation pump and distance (voltage drop). This website contains a handy reference for wire gauge and load current. And, make sure the circuit is connected to a ground fault circuit breaker in your house. For any outside wiring, especially near water, you don't want to expose yourself or others to an unprotected circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks