225' of sump pump drain to run... PVC or polyethylene?

Users who are viewing this thread

Klogan121

Reaction score
I need to run a sump pump drain 225' running downhill to a ditch and need to know which is the best drain pipe to use and size?

Sump drain is now stubbed out of the house above grade (See pic) about a foot above ground level with 1 1/2" PVC by a local plumber.

Plumber wants $3,000 to run this drain the 225' to the ditch on a nice downhill grade (see pic). The cost for this job seems excessive! :confused:

Should this drain pipe enter the ground right when it comes out of the house or can I run it above ground to the end of the house then bury it the 200' the rest of the way?

How deep to dig trench? I live in Michigan.

Thanks for any advice! pipe.jpg

Attachments

• yard.jpg
    yard.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 673

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
$3000.00?

Does that include the trench and dinner at Ruth Chris once a week for a year?

Sluggo

Reaction score
Project budget...
-1-1/2" PVC pipe: about $125 for 225'
-Pint can of PVC glue: about $8
-Ditchwitch rental: about $125 for a day
-Your time

I know what I'd do.

Klogan121

Reaction score
Project budget...
-1-1/2" PVC pipe: about $125 for 225'
-Pint can of PVC glue: about $8
-Ditchwitch rental: about $125 for a day
-Your time

I know what I'd do.

Yes, me and a buddy are going to do this ourselves. It's for the neighbor who is renting house. They are happy to pay me $1,500 for job.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, me and a buddy are going to do this ourselves. It's for the neighbor who is renting house. They are happy to pay me $1,500 for job.
Remember to call your local utilities marking service before digging.

SHR

Reaction score
If you are in Michigan, where freezing weather happens all winter, use polyethylene. 100' foot rolls of 1 1/2" sprinkler-type non-NSF polyethylene will be cheap and easier to install. Polyethylene is rupture resistant in freezing weather, PVC loves to shatter. Underground piping is something I do not want to worry about rupturing. I use polyethylene for this purpose often.

Reach4

Reaction score
You probably want to provide an alternate path in case of freezing or blockage. You could put a tee (what kind?) where you feed the water down, and have an open pipe teeing up. If the main drain gets blocked, the water could come out there. Another alternative would be some other form of air gap. The pipe sticking up seems better to me to keep the water going down the long path during a burst of water, rather than through the alternate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The ONLY way to "drain the pipe" is with a vacuum vent to let all the water drain out. It would have to be a very HIGH "alternate drain" to keep from overflowing a 225' drain line. And if the "maindrain" was frozen, the water would stay in the alternate one and freeze also.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would use a trencher and lay 3" pipe with cleanouts installed every 50'. It will need an air gap at the top.
If you can get it 3' below grade at 2% pitch, the chances of it ever freezing are very slim.
The smaller pipe is a little cheaper, but a lot harder to keep clear.

Alternatively, use 4" pipe and plumb your downspouts also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks