220v dryer out conversion to 110v?

Users who are viewing this thread

petergunn

Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently replaced my old electric Washer/Dryer combo that ran off a dedicated 200v circuit with a 2 pole 30amp breaker and single NEMA 14-30R outlet to a new energy efficient LG condensing Washer/Dryer unit that requires a 110v 12amps through a regular NEMA 5-15R outlet and I would really like to avoid running a new dedicated 110v 20amp circuit.

I believe the NEMA 14-30R is a 4-wire (2x 110v circuits out of phase). Is it possible/legal/safe to reuse the existing wiring (8AWG?) for a pair of 110v 15 amp circuits?

This would require replacing the 2 pole 30amp breaker with a pair of 15 amp breakers and also replacing the outlet. Would the wiring need to be tapped down or spliced to the 12/14 AWG?

Don't worry I would be hiring a licensed electrician to do the actual work. Just brainstorming what I want to ask them to do. :)

I've attached some pictures of the current socket and panel.

-PG

Attachments

• IMG_2272.jpg
    IMG_2272.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,520
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 936

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
This is a common and simple conversion.

1. Replace the 2 pole 30amp breaker with a 2 pole 20. You will only use one pole but I hate panel blank "fillers" They always fall out:rolleyes:

2. Replace the 240V receptacle with a 120V recep. The existing #10 wire will wrap arouind the terminals but it will be a bit difficult to manuver. Use black and white for the hot and neutral (hot = brass screw, neutral = silver screw). Bare ground goes to the green ground screw. Cap the extra red wire with a wirenut.

The last thing is to decide how to deal with mounting the recep and the cover plate. I would do whatever is easy.

2 gang box? Install a second recep and a double duplex cover plate or find a specialty duplex/blank plate.

4s box with a 2 gang mud ring? Same as above or change the mud ring to single gang and patch the sides.

I gang mud ring? Simply install the recep and cover plate.

petergunn

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. One 110v outlet will be fine. Just need to find an electrician now :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks