2 wells - How do you switch power easily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boerdoc

Reaction score
I have 2 wells that I am in the process of determining which to use for the house( testing water quality, output and such). Both electrical connections for the wells are in the cellar where the pressure switch is. Right now I have to turn off the circuit breaker and manually connect the wiring to the pressure switch to switch wells (pumps). Is there a switch , like an A/B switch that I can use to change pumps. Then I would only have to change the shutoff valves. I also would like to be able to have a backup well just in case.
Thanks
Kent

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
A pair of disconnect switches. Pump 1 and one for pump 2.
Turn one off and switch the other on.

Its easy, and inexpensive, plus its a lot safer than taking the wires from one to the other.

Travis

Boerdoc

Reaction score
$6.97 for each disconnect and 3 feet of 10/2 Plus an hour of labor (my own) and it works perfectly. Thanks for the advice Waterwelldude. It could not have been simpler. Now if we run into a problem I just turn one off and the other ON.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Also could just use two pressure switches, one set at 40/60 the other at 30/50. Then your back up well would come on automatically, no need to throw switches.

Boerdoc

Reaction score
Valveman,
If I set it up this way would I need 2 power supplies or would I split the power to each pressure switch since only one would go on at a time?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Technically, you would only need wire large enough for 1 pump, then you could split it to both pressure switches. However, one of the benefits of staggering pressure settings this way, is that both pumps can run at the same time, if you use more water than the first pump can supply. Actually, this needs to happen occasionally to exercise the pump with the lower settings. Otherwise you need to turn off the pump with the higher settings every month or so, and let the other pump run for a little while. Running both pumps at the same time just means you need large enough wire and breakers to run both pumps, then split to the two pressure switches.

Boerdoc

Reaction score
My thoughts were that we run the 40/60 pump as the main pump. If the well runs down then the pumpsaver shuts pump down for 30 minutes or so. The pressure drops to 30 and the second pump 30/50 comes on and keeps the pressure at least 30 psi. After the 30 minutes or so then the first pump would come back on if the pressure is below 40. If the second pump is "on" and pumping at that time, then the pumps would be pumping against each other. Is that a problem? I have separate power available if needed. I would just need to run another supply from the electrical panel which is already in place. no big deal.
BTw We run out of water when we leave irrigation on for too long. This backup should provide enough for us without having to put in more outside pipes in the groound.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks