2 Wells - 1 House - Radon and Irrigation

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by hdemott, Apr 24, 2009.

1. hdemott

hdemott New Member

New to this forum so please bear with me.

I have a house with 2 wells.

Well #1 is our house well. It has a fairly high radon level (> 20000) and works fine for the house - but is not strong enough to do irrigation

Well #2 is our irrigation well. It is fine for irrigation and could be adapted to house use.

What I would like to do it to flip wells and use well #2 for the house and use well #1 for irrigation, with well #2 kicking on when needed for irrigation.

The idea is to use the well with radon outside the house, but not run it dry every irrigation cycle.

That way I can use the current irrigation well in the house - run it through a softener neutralizer as well as some carbon filtration, and use it for drinking water

Any thoughts on how to do this?
  2. hdemott

hdemott New Member

Another way of asking this perhaps is:

Do you know of any pressure switches that can handle 2 well pumps simultaneously?
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You need a CSV, a pressure tank, and a separate pressure switch for each pump. Set the pressure switch for the irrigation pump at 30/50, with the CSV set at 40. Then set the pressure switch for the house pump at 40/60, with the CSV set at 50 PSI. This way the irrigation pump will not come on as long as the house pump can keep up with the demand but, the second pump will come on and increase the flow when needed for irrigation.

A check valve in the right place would let both pumps feed the irrigation but, only the one pump feed the house.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Radon mitigation can be rather expensive and take up some space. How can you have radon in one well and not the other? How far a part are they?

What is the test results for the present irrigation well; hardness, iron, manganese, pH, Coliform bacteria etc. etc. Why do you need a carbon filter and acid neutralizing?
  5. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

What is the radon level for the irragation system? The #1 system sounds like it goes dry often, could the #2 system support all your needs?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wells

The crossconnection between the house and irrigation systems MUST be properly made, and there is no way to do that reliably, and have it automatic, because the backflow device would ALWAYS open and flood water when the irrigation pump came on if the house pressure dropped below that of the irrigation system.
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I think the pressure would be the same on the house system as the irrigation system. Otherwise you would be right about the back flow opening up if it was and RPZ, but not with just a double check.