2 Wax rings or extenders?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Fastclient, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Fastclient

Fastclient New Member

Found some situations close to mine with answers but nothing quite the same. Neighbor installed a new ceramic floor and with the cement board and tile the flange was down quite a bit but two extender rings brought it right up to floor level. I siliconed between the flange and ring and between both rings and screwed it all to the floor. Then used a thicker than normal wax (no horm) ring, set the toilet and life was good.. or so I thought. Beneath the bathroom is a finished laundry room and about a week later I notice a water spot in the ceiling. I pulled the toilet and couldnt see where it was leaking. Question is do I just try again with another wax ring (no horn) or do I pull the extenders and install the toilet with a couple of wax rings. From some of what I read the extenders will leak eventually so not sure what is the best solution. Thank you for your help
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

There are a lot of oppinons about this.

For 36 years, I have used two wax rings.
    One with a horn, layed on top of a wax ring without the horn.

We install hundreds of toilets a year, and sell hundreds.
    We offer a one year warranty on our work.

That's what we do, and also our customers that can follow instructions.

You can also look at the Fluidmaster waxless seal.
    Those work nice too.

I'm not a fan of adding spacers.
    Unless they are sealed, it's just another place to leak.

[​IMG]

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?743-Installing-a-Toto-Drake-CST744S-2-piece-toilet
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  3. Fastclient

Fastclient New Member

Do you know how many posts there are if you do a search on wax rings?? Me neither but there are LOTS! So I will just ask the question hoping for a quick answer. When setting the toliet do you put the two wax ring on the toilet or flange on the floor? Thanks!
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Anyone that has installed more then one toilet, puts the wax on the floor.
    Beginners follow the box directions, and then swear and cuss when the wax falls off while positioning the bowl over the flange.
    It's are real easy way to ruin wax, it falls down in the wrong spot, and then you mash the bowl down and ruin the wax.
    You put water in the toilet, and it runs all over the floor.

Plumbers always put the wax on the floor flange.
  5. DanMcD

DanMcD New Member

Terry,

When using two wax rings. why do you put the one with a horn, layed on top of a wax ring without the horn. Why not the other way around to make sure the horn extends ito the drain hole?

Dan
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Not all drains are created equal, nor are those rings with horns. If you get it slightly offset or the throat of the flange is too small, pressing the wax ring down to seat it can collapse the horn and make the toilet clog. If you use it on top, it helps to center the lower one, and holds the horn up further, so that is less likely to happen.
  7. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

You can actually use two without horns. Terry's method just uses the horn in the one to help stabilize the top ring on the bottom one. You don't need a horn to aim the waste into the closet flange, that's what the horn on the toilet is for. Many pros on here recommend using a hornless ring when you're doing a one-ring job.

[Edited b/c I realized that the original question was two years old and that the recent question was limited in scope.]
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013