2 stations not working on my Rainbird system

Users who are viewing this thread

BT1911

Reaction score
1st post here. Seems to be a very smart crowd!

Hoping to get some advice on fixing my 11 station system. I picked up two yellow lab pups whose idea of chew toys were the valve covers in the back yard and the wiring from the solenoids on top of the valves. I checked the system and noticed that two of the stations in the back yard weren't kicking on but the timer showed them running. I replaced the solenoids and still the same thing. I did notice I could twist the solenoids and that got the pop-ups working. Any clue as to what else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Kiril

Reaction score
1st post here. Seems to be a very smart crowd!

Hoping to get some advice on fixing my 11 station system. I picked up two yellow lab pups whose idea of chew toys were the valve covers in the back yard and the wiring from the solenoids on top of the valves. I checked the system and noticed that two of the stations in the back yard weren't kicking on but the timer showed them running.

Check to see if the pups used the zone field wiring as a chew toy. :)

I did notice I could twist the solenoids and that got the pop-ups working.

This is typical behavior of all screw type solenoids (eg. manual activation)

BT1911

Reaction score
Check to see if the pups used the zone field wiring as a chew toy

Will do! Can you tell me what this "zone field wiring" is? When the system was installed, the installer didn't leave a schematic.

Kiril

Reaction score
Will do! Can you tell me what this "zone field wiring" is? When the system was installed, the installer didn't leave a schematic.

The solenoid wiring is connected to it. While your there you should make sure it is wired correctly.

BT1911

Reaction score
Thanks. Everything seems to be intact but still no go. One last question before I call the sprinkler guy...Does it matter which solenoid to use as a replacement; e.g. brand specific? I picked up two from Home Depot that don't look like the kind that I swapped with albeit the threads were the same.

Kiril

Reaction score
Does it matter which solenoid to use as a replacement; e.g. brand specific?

Yes it does matter.

What is the make and model of the valves you have (pics)?

What type of solenoid did you purchase?

What is the make and model of your controller (& pics of zone wiring)?

Do you have a voltmeter?

BT1911

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. I'll have to get pics later on this evening.

As to the valves, they're buried in the dirt. Only the solenoid and the wires are exposed. I'll have to dig them up to find out what they are.

The solenoids that I bought were the "universal" ones from Home Depot. A search of the internet showed them to look exactly like the Hardie Irrigation model (round ones...the ones I took off are octagonal)

The controller is a Hunter Pro-C and I do have a voltmeter.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

BT1911

Reaction score
Here's the photos. Sorry for the quality.

The solenoid on the top is the one I removed. The one on the bottom is the new Home Depot one:

This is how it's wired. One lead going to the red com and the other going to the two white ones.

Kiril

Reaction score
Take your volt meter and check the voltage at the solenoid when the valve is activated.

Rainbird has a good Multimeter Operation guide you can use as a reference.

While that solenoid looks like it will work, the fact the it has a captive armature and the original does not may be enough to keep the valve from working.

If the voltages look ok, then you will need to find out the valve make and model to see if the solenoid you got will work. It may be possible to remove the plastic retention ring on that universal solenoid which might allow the valve to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks