2 Space Heaters 1500watts flipping breakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they make lower wattage space heaters that are commonly available. These 2, 1500 watt heaters, are flipping the breaker.

Thanks for any replies:)

Thassler

Reaction score
Are you trying to run these heaters on the same circuit? What size circuit breaker? Assuming 120Volts, 1500 watts roughly equates out to 12.5 amps. Two heaters on the same 20amp circuit would definitely be too much (25amps).

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some space heaters have a selector switch for low/high. The lower setting uses less wattage.

Note: I used to live in an apartment which had all 15 amp circuits in the rooms. Space heaters would constantly trip the breakers. Then I got my own house and rewired everything to 20 amp circuits. Now I don't have any problems with breakers tripping if using space heaters.

Also you can add a couple of additional circuits for just the space heaters. That might be an option. I would suggest 20 amps, then there will be a little extra amperage for something else.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Do you have all electric heat?
Here electric heat is a LOT more $$ then oil heat
So its cheaper to kick the heat on then run 3,000w of electric

Apt or house?
Have you tried insulation etc?

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also if you use just one bedroom at night (not a zillion kids/bedrooms), then you can heat just the bedroom with a space heater rather than the whole house. That can save quite a bit.

Or if a large house, close off unused rooms and heat just the living room during the day.

Of course keep the heat on enough in the rest of the house so the pipes don't freeze.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I solder a longer cord on these things so it can reach to an outlet on a different circuit.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think space heater should be outlawed. Every winter we have people burned to death in fires caused by space heaters. Probably the cords become frayed or were too light to begin with,

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think space heater should be outlawed. Every winter we have people burned to death in fires caused by space heaters. Probably the cords become frayed or were too light to begin with,

I think it is more the issue where they don't have a tip-over switch or something is left over them, and that catches fire, verses the thing itself burning. Either way, they can be dangerous. An electrical fire would likely pop the breaker, but maybe not before it caught enough other things of fire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks