2 Shower Valves to 1 Rain Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Sig32

Reaction score
I am installing 2 Moen 3330's in a shower. Each valve will have a its own dedicated shower head. I want to place one rain head that can be fed from either valve (not both at the same time). I think I can do this, but will need to install check/flow valve on either side of the rain head. Am I correct that I need a flow valve? If so, how do I properly size the valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I can do this, but will need to install check/flow valve on either side of the rain head.
A rain head shower head has an input pipe. What is the other side?

I think you are picturing 2 non-rain showerheads and 1 rain showerhead (which I will call #3). You want either
  • all off
  • showerheads 1 + 3
  • showerheads 2+3

I think you might mean two check valves that both direct water to the rain head, but will block an unintended flow back to the one of the 3 showerheads that you don't want flow from. So would you need the two checkvalves? I don't know. I am just trying to clarify your intention.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to use two diverter valves, one at each shower valve. It won't matter if both valves are set to the rain shower head, and if the diverter valves are installed properly, it shouldn't run through and activate the other's 'normal' head. I'm still not sure why you feel the need for this. It would probably be easier to just use a multi-port diverter and run with one shower valve.

Sig32

Reaction score
My plan is as follows using two Moen 3330 valves:

Valve 1 and 2 options.
Position one - regular shower head (1 dedicated head for each valve)
Position two - rain head (1 rain head shared by each valve)
Position three - regular and rain combined

Eeach valve will have one line feeding into a tee at the rain head. My concern is that when one valve is feeding the rain head, it will continue through the the tee and cause back pressure and perhaps backward feed the other valve (depending what position its in). I thought that might not be good and so to prevent that I would need a flow valve to prevent the water from one valve to continue passed the tee at the rain head. Thoughts?

Sig32

Reaction score
It's a dual shower shower (his/hers) and did not see a need to have 2 rain heads. Both valves will not be feeding the rain head simultaneously.
Jadnashua, you mentioned "if" the diverter works. Is this an acceptable install?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm neither a plumbing pro nor an inspector, but IMHO, it should work. If you can get to the second level tech support, you could ask the manufacturer, but the general, help desk person probably wouldn't know or be able to tell you as they typically only know the more common answers. You could do what you want with one centrally located valve and a multiport diverter, but then you'd have to agree on the temperature if both main showers were being used at the same time. By only using one valve, you'd possibly be able to upgrade to a thermostatically controlled valve, which, I prefer, for about the same costs. That's nice since as you use up all of the hot water, it will continually be trying to adjust to keep the outlet temp the same...nice if you're the second person taking a shower (or third, etc.). Certainly won't make hot water, but can keep things constant as long as there is some.

Mikael99

Reaction score
I am installing 2 Moen 3330's in a shower. Each valve will have a its own dedicated shower head. I want to place one rain head that can be fed from either valve (not both at the same time). I think I can do this, but will need to install check/flow valve on either side of the rain head. Am I correct that I need a flow valve? If so, how do I properly size the valve?
I am looking to do the same thing and considering if I need two check valves. Did this work for you?

Mario Gomez

Reaction score
I am looking to do the same thing and considering if I need two check valves. Did this work for you?
Has anyone tried this yet?...I'm about to start my plumbing on this similar scenario, 2 valves each having there own body sprays/shower head, but both controlling a common rain head!!! I'm guessing a check valve on each line feeding the rain head would be the safest way to go since pressure isn't really an issue since it is a rain head.

YoplaiTexas

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this yet?...I'm about to start my plumbing on this similar scenario, 2 valves each having there own body sprays/shower head, but both controlling a common rain head!!! I'm guessing a check valve on each line feeding the rain head would be the safest way to go since pressure isn't really an issue since it is a rain head.
Hi Mario, did this work out for you? I'm also considering doing the two check valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks