2 Q's New Clean-out & BioClean?

Users who are viewing this thread

narajkaj

Reaction score
Hi-

Just happened to find this board and you all seem like you're knowledgeable.

I've got a house that is 25 years old and I've owned it for 4 years.

In the past year or so, I've had two interior pipe blockages which caused backups in the bathroom of my finished basement. (at least one of the times, we were using our dishwasher, shower and washing machine all around the same time).

The first time, it caused an explosion from the drain of the bathtub and filled the room with a watery "black soot" that smelled like sewage. I was told it most likely was grease from the kitchen line. The plumber only cleaned out pipes that could be reached from below the kitchen sink

The second time was much worse and instead of an "explosion", it was a flood of sooty water that was much greater in volume. This time the plumber (another company) went up to my main vent pipe on my roof to do a "proper" cleanout. I haven't had any problems since (about 6 months).

Around this same time, my neighbor across the street had to have their main sewer line dug up and replaced (we're in a subdivision).

I'm trying to avoid having the same cost as he did.

The houses in this neighborhood don't have outside cleanouts at all and I've got several large trees in my front yard (more than my neighbor). It's about a 30 foot distance from the sidewalk to my house.

Under these circumstances, does it make sense to have an outside cleanout installed? (My neighbor did after he had his line replaced). How expensive of a job is this? What, if any, other suggestions would you have?

The first plumber (didn't think he was on the ball) tried to sell me on the idea of using his camera and a product called BioClean. Should I have done this or should the $$ be spent on a new clean-out and a good cleaning? Is BioClean worth the $$ or are the products at Home Depot essentially the same thing?

Thanks for any insights or ideas you may have!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you have some clog issues and a proper cleaning with proper tools would probably help. If you suspect tree root problems, you could spend money now on a camera job, or wait and see if you get several months or years of good performance after the cleanout job.

bio-clean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
sewer

Put in an outside clean out. From what you say you probably have roots and the closer to the obstruction that you use a sewer machine, the better that you can clean.
I wouldn't waste my money on a camera or chemical or bio. stuff.
You probably have tree roots.
I'm surprised you don't have a main clean out somewhere inside near the front wall. An outside clean out sure saves a mess inside.
I'd opt for a c.o. outside and someone with a heavy duty sewer machine that will do more than poke a hole through the obstruction and work it with increasing size tools.

bio-clean-terrylove-01.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks